Battle

Link stumbled down the long halls with Urbosa. Aryll and Groose had gone to join the crowd, possibly to find Mipha and Revali. Link was still weak, using the strong Gerudo for help to walk. He didn't know how he would fight Ganondorf in his condition, but he had to find a way. The Master Sword pulsed a dull light, encouraging him to keep going. When he thought of quitting, she fed him the old memories of excruciating trials, and then pushing through those to save Zelda. It gave Link courage. He could do this.

Urbosa led him through the castle to the Sanctum. The huge double-doors stood closed, hiding the ceremony on the other side.

"Are you ready?" she asked.

Link straightened, mustering the small amount of strength the Sword lent him. The hilt burned his scarred palm. He nodded.

Urbosa shoved the doors open, revealing the horrid scene. Zelda stood to the side, staring down at the hushed crowd. Ganondorf was tall and mighty, waiting for the crown to be placed on his head. King Rhoam held the gleaming gold inches from his hair, running through the words that would proclaim him king.

"Stop," Link said as sternly as he could.

Rhoam halted mid-sentance. Zelda gasped, whipping around to face Link. Ganondorf's shoulders fell. He clenched his fists, taking his time to turn. A deep scowl creased his face as he glared at the boy intruding upon his moment. His eyes flicked to Urbosa standing by the door. She shifted her stance, ready to fight, but was suddenly locked in place. Ganondorf held his hand out, slowly balling it into a fist. Urbosa gasped for air as the power squeezed her tight. Ganondorf raised his hand, lifting the struggling woman in the air, and threw her over the railing. The crowd gasped below.

"Urbosa!" Zelda cried, running to grab her hand before she fell. She struggled to hold on, ultimately pulling her up enough for her to get a hold on the railing.

"Excuse me, dear," Ganondorf growled. He stormed through the threshold, slamming the doors shut behind him.

Stumbling back, Link lifted the Master Sword in his flimsy grip. Ganondorf advanced, cornering him.

A large sword materialized in his hand. "I was hoping to have more time with you, but you're getting on my nerves."

He lifted the blade high overhead. Link gulped. Ganondorf swung, connecting it with the Master Sword. Link grunted, trying to hold firm, but was easily overpowered. His blade skidded across the Sanctum. Link scrambled after it, but was tripped by Ganondorf's power. He was thrust in the air, slamming against the high ceiling. Winded, he barely caught the grand chandelier to keep from falling. His fingers slipped. Plummeting to the ground, Link somehow managed to grasp the railing of the upper level. The impact tore at his arms.

"This may be fun after all," Ganondorf sneered from above. How did he get up there so fast? He raised his sword.

Letting go, Link fell into a roll, landing by the Master Sword. He clutched it tight, holding it up defensively. Behind him, the double-doors shook as they were pounded on from the outside. But he was all alone. No one would come to his aid.

Shoot.

At first, Link thought the Sword cursed to itself, but then it glowed. The blade gave off heat. Realizing what the spirit ment, Link swung upward, shooting a blazing beam of light at Ganondorf. Surprised, the evil man was hit, though he didn't stay down for long. He flexed his fingers, summoning a blazing red ball of fire. He thrust it at Link.

Hit it back.

Obeying the spirit, Link swung, shooting the ball right back at Ganondorf. Expecting the move, he parried, shooting the ball faster. Link dodged out of the way, surprised. Behind him, Ganondorf jumped from the upper level, landing with great force. The floor shook from the impact. Link whirled, prepared for his next attack. Another flaming sphere flew his way. This time, the two hit back and forth, none giving up. Link lost his breath in the effort to keep up with the zooming ball, but managed to knock Ganondorf with it. Ganondorf fell to one knee.

Storming at him, Link hefted his sword in preparation to swing. Ganondorf quickly recovered, flinging Link to the side. He crashed into the double-doors, winded. The gash on his cheek reopened. Gasping for air, Link picked up the dropped blade, sinking into a defensive stance as he circled the Sanctum. Ganondorf lumbered closer, abandoning his first method of attack.

Before he could cross half the room, Link summoned the blazing light of the Sword. Once he had enough, he shot it at Ganondorf, but he cut the stream of light in half. He paused in the center of the Sanctum, lifting his sword to the sky. Red lightning shot from the sky, charging his blade. Link didn't have time to dodge as he rushed foward with inhuman speed. Ganondorf struck him, sending Link to the floor, convulsing from the shock. Link screamed in pain as electricity shot through his body. He struggled to stand when it left him. Ganondorf prepared for another lightning strike, but Link held his sword skyward to catch it instead. He bit his tounge through the push of energy, but caught the power instead of his enemy. Ganondorf roared in anger, lunging for him. Link held the Master Sword steady, plunging it into his shoulder. Ganondorf reeled.

Pulling the bloody sword from his body, Link prepared another blow, but Ganondorf rolled away. He regained his stance, not at all concerned about his shoulder. He snapped his hand up, seizing Link in a crushing grip of power. Link squirmed as he was lifted off the ground, groaning in the strangling hold. Ganondorf advanced, taking his time to close the gap between them.

"It's over," he growled in Link's face. "Zelda is mine. I will be king. You will be dead."

He squeezed tighter. White spots flashed in Link's vision. He dropped the Master Sword, finding it hard to hold anything. His head buzzed, his heart pounded in his chest. The dead tissue on his arm burned.

Ganondorf pressed his sword to Link's neck. "Your head will be mine."

Suddenly, the stained glass window shattered. An arrow lodged itself in Ganondorf's back. He howled, dropping Link and reaching for the slim shaft sticking out of his flesh. Link gasped for air on the floor, choking himself in his greediness to breathe. With his shaking hand, he grasped the Master Sword, finding his way to his feet.

"Take that, you asinine jerk!"

"Yeah, what bird-boy said!"

"The Rito evolved!" Revali yelled at Groose. "We no longer have feathers!"

"Sucks for you," Groose shot back. "Can't fly no more."

"Impeccable grammar."

"Thanks."

"Can we focus?" Zelda scolded them.

While Ganondorf was distracted with the bickering group, Link took his chance to strike him from behind. However, Ganondorf sensed his attack, resulting in Link only inflicting a serface wound across his arm.

Revali scoffed. "What a hero." He knocked an arrow, shooting at Ganondorf. The projectile struck his thigh. When Link cocked an eyebrow at him, he said with a roll of the eyes, "The princess said I'm not allowed to kill him. So hurry up."

Huffing, Link stood ready to defend. Ganondorf lifted his sword to strike, but was knocked off balance when the ground rumbled. A Goron ran in through the shattered window, rushing passed Link and slamming his Boulder Breaker into Ganondorf's stomach, sending him to the other side of the Sanctum.

"I got you, little guy!" he called.

As Ganondorf struggled to stand, Link glanced at the people who came to help. Revali, Groose, Zelda, and Daruk were there. But so was Urbosa, the Sheikah he suspected was Impa, and even Mipha. With everyone combined, there was no way he would lose now; that was, until Ganondorf seized control over them.

Wiping blood from his jaw, Ganondorf spread his arms wide. Link spun in circles as he watched his friends violently shake. They fell to the floor, grunting and moaning in pain. Their skin turned a sickly pale, veins flowing purple. One by one, they were lifted to their feet, under the influence of Ganondorf. Their eyes were empty blackness, boring holes in Link's soul. Even Mipha was consumed by his horrid power. The seven of them formed a line between Ganondorf and Link, Zelda in the middle. Her eyes flicked back to normal for a fleeting second.

"Link. . ." she whispered. The darkness filled her glassy eyes once more. A sharp sword materialized in her hand. A battle cry erupted from her mouth as she charged.