Blackmail

"Hm," the man huffed. Link had finished fixing up the test sword, and was now patiently waiting for the man's assessment. "You did a good job." He sheathed the sword while digging into a pouch at his side. The man tossed Link his payment, and Link caught the red rupee. "I'll be coming back. I hope to see this much effort with every blade."

Link nodded as the man turned and continued through the square. The arrow boy scoffed in his booth. Ignoring him, Link stood, dusting off his trousers. His boots clomped on the cobble street as he ducked between the two shops where Aryll was waiting.

"We better hurry," she said. "His Majesty will wonder why we were out so long."

Link hefted his pile of bags and parcels up and started for the near-empty street with Aryll close behind. The storefronts and open booths slowly turned to cozy, close-packed homes. The stone road eventually became nothing but crushed rocks and dirt. A mail wagon made its way across the street, the driver stopping only to drop packages and envelopes off. A simple tune played by a street performer carried through the town. Two knights circled the road and turned a corner, waiting for any crime to arise.

Seeing the knights made Link wish he could have the respect of one, and not because of his father. Link longed for the moment he freed himself and Aryll from Ghirahim, the day he could finally deem her safe. Soon, he told himself. Soon.

Aryll danced to the music played by the street performer while Link's boots clomped to the beet. The rhythm was interrupted as Link tripped on a rock jutting from the road. He almost retained his balance, but was tripped again. He crashed to the dirt, packages and cloths sprawled across the road.

"Wha-Hey!"

Link turned over, finding the arrow boy shoving Aryll to the ground. The music abruptly stopped, plunging Link and Aryll into a bad situation they wouldn't get help with.

"I see two little pets going against their master's wishes," taunted the arrow boy.

Aryll started to stand, but the boy pressed his foot on her shoulder.

"Who are you?" Aryll cired. "What do you want?"

The arrow boy snickered. "Name's Revali. I want part of your cut."

"No! Now get off me!" Aryll pushed against Revali's leg, but to no avail.

Link got to his feet. They didn't need another overlord. This was the one time he could fight back.

"Stay down, mut," Revali ordered.

Ire rose in Link's body. He clenched his fists, slipping into a fighting stance. Revali scoffed, taking his foot off Aryll. Aryll darted glances between the two boys knowing how this will end if she didn't stop it now.

"Stop!" She cried, grabbing Revali's arm. Her eyes watered.

He threw her off. "I ought to tell Ghirahim about the side hustle you two do. That'll teach you."

"No! Please, you don't know what he'll do to us!" Aryll begged. Tears fell down her face. "How much do you want?"

Revali stared down at her, calculating. "Forty percent."

"That's too much," Link said through clenched teeth. He could barely restrain his anger.

"Forty percent in exchange for keeping your secret," Revali countered. "I think that's a fair deal."

Counting the small amount of rupees they earned, Aryll frantically nodded. She calculated how much they could keep, then gave the rest to Revali. He snatched it from her hand, shoving the small amount in his pocket before turning down the road.

Link rushed to her side, helping her off the ground. Aryll began to sob as she picked up the dirt-stained clothes, fearful of Ghirahim's rath. Link cradled her close as they continued to their demise, glaring over his shoulder at Revali.