xxx. the district meeting

CHAPTER THIRTY!

THE DISTRICT MEETING!

ROSALIE HAD found a way to sleep even as District Thirteen were up in arms about the words of one Peeta Mellark — loud chatter traveling down the hallways all hours of the evening. She'd gotten under the blankets and allowed the warmth of them to take over, lulling her into a dreamless sleep and blocking out the harsh realities of her own world. Having Finnick at her side also helped with shunning those demons.

Waking up the following morning, she quickly notices that the space beside her is empty. Finnick, more than likely, snuck out earlier to get some training in or something like that. Rosalie knows there is some sort of fight coming their way, and so does her partner, the man training extra hours to get himself ready.

War is very different to the actual Hunger Games, there are no automatic weapons in the arena. No, hand to hand combat is more than likely how a fight will go down in there. The closest thing to a gun you can get in the confines of the arena is a bow, and against a gun, that will be too weak.

Rosalie pushes herself up into a seated position, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. She has no clue what time it is, but she assumes it's earlier considering there is little to noise going on outside her bedroom. Most people are likely still deep in their slumber, trying desperately to dream of a place where there is no fighting or death — a place where there is peace.

Perhaps one day that will be the actual reality of Panem, no matter how unlikely it seems now.

"Rose? You awake?" Carter's voice seeps through the air, his knuckles gently knocking against the wood of her bedroom door. "President Coin wants to see us all. Apparently she has some news,"

President Coin.

Admittedly, Rosalie hasn't had much to do with the woman who is the President of District Thirteen. For ages she'd been locked up in the hospital at her brother's bedside, pleading for him to wake up with tears streaming down the sides of her cheeks. Katniss, Haymitch and Finnick have been the three she's probably been in contact with the most — specifically the girl from District Twelve who is the fire to their rebellion.

"I'm up. I'll meet you down there," Rosalie calls out in response, and then there's the sound of his shoes clacking against the concrete floor.

The brunette gets out of bed, quickly changing her clothes and throwing her hair up into a messy ponytail. The girl grabs one of Finnick's jackets and slips into it, putting on her shoes and leaving the bedroom.

People are awake now, more than likely receiving the message of there being a meeting. She manages to squeeze her way through the crowds, eyes searching for anybody familiar. A soft smile pulls at her features when she sees Finnick and Carter chatting with one another, Carter making over the top gestures with his hands.

Rosalie moves in to stand with them, gently grabbing Finnick's hand and startling him a little. "Sorry. Didn't mean to scare you," Rose chuckles softly.

"You didn't," Finnick replies, almost outraged at the assumption.

"Uh huh. What's this meeting about anyway?"

The man opens his mouth to answer the question when Coin steps out and into the view of all the people. She stands above them, almost as if she's trying to highlight her superiority. She can't lie, it irks Rosalie a little bit, the way this woman seems to see herself.

"Good afternoon. Thank you for interrupting your schedules. They have already been adjusted to compensate for the delay," President Coin begins, her eyes surveying the crowd.

There's an underlying arrogance to her tone of voice, and in some ways, Rosalie could compare her to Snow. Of course, she isn't making children fight against each other in the arena, but her leadership still doesn't seem too trustworthy. However, for the sake of taking down the Capitol, she's willing to look past it.

For now.

"I have an announcement for the citizens of 13. Katniss Everdeen has consented to be the face of our cause to help unite the districts against the Capitol," Coin continues.

Rosalie's eyes find Katniss', the teenage girl trying to shy away from the attention around her in that moment. It's a lot of pressure, a huge responsibility for somebody who is so young. Rosalie thinks she's up for it though; Katniss Everdeen is perhaps the strongest person she's ever come across.

"In exchange, I have promised several concessions. First, we'll assess all opportunities for the extraction of the Victors held hostage in the Capitol. Peeta Mellark, Johanna Mason —"

The sound of Peeta's name causes outrage amongst the people of District Thirteen. After his words from the other night, it is obvious that he isn't the most popular person.

"And Annie Cresta. Once freed, they will be granted full pardon for any and all crimes committed against the rebel cause,"

The words surprise her, because the President doesn't seem like the type of person to do something like that. To be perfectly honest, she expected Peeta to be locked away the moment he arrived, punished for the things he'd said. It most certainly isn't what the brunette wants, it's quite obvious that Peeta has been coerced into saying the things he said — he needs help, not hatred.

"If Katniss Everdeen fails to fulfill her duties, the deal will be off. Thank you for your attention. Please, resume your daily schedules,"

Rosalie hopes that Katniss can fulfill those duties and help bring their friends home, because with a war like this, they need all the help they can get.