xxiii. mystery

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE!

MYSTERY.

IT FELT AS IF her limbs would cease to function within mere seconds. The concussion still weighing heavily on her body, the brunette struggles to keep up with Finnick as he tugs her along by the hand — too afraid to let go in case she drops. Katniss and Peeta are a little bit ahead, fighting their way through the trees and hoping to dodge the fog which could literally engulf them if they hesitated for a moment.

"Rose, come on," Finnick sounds almost desperate as she staggers behind him. "You have to keep moving,"

The brunette's legs are burning, her muscles being swarmed with lactic acid. The thought of even moving them causes further pain to radiate through her, the psychosomatic aspects truly coming into play. However, she knows if she doesn't keep up, she will more than likely take Finnick down with her and that's the last thing she wants.

The boy from Twelve also seems to be having problems when it comes to running, he's practically clinging to Katniss much like she is to Finnick.

She just feels so lethargic, as if she could simply collapse at any given moment and that would be it — the fog would take her and she'd die in the arena like she expected to the first time around. Finnick doesn't allow her to fall behind though, he just won't let her go.

"Come on, Peeta," Katniss' voice is strained and desperate, the blonde haired boy severely struggling. "I can't carry him!"

With the little energy she has left, Rosalie pushes Finnick towards the teenagers. "Help him, I'll be okay,"

"Rose—"

"Help him,"

Finnick reluctantly moves away from the brunette to help the boy, the one they both know is needed for their upcoming rebellion. Katniss is less likely to to go along with the plan if Peeta isn't there, she will detest them and then everything could fall apart in a matter of seconds. Without Katniss Everdeen, there is simply no rebellion.

Finnick now has the boy slung over his shoulder, and it's clear he is tiring too. Rose is falling over her own feet, trying her absolute hardest to stay upright. No longer having anything to lean on, it's gotten even harder to move than before. It gets worse when she simply misses the steep fall in front of her and goes tumbling down to the ground below.

The other three are also laid out on the grass, none of them wanting to flee any longer. It is as if they've all given up, accepted their fate.

Rosalie watches as the fog continues to roll in but she breathes a sigh of relief, when it seems to form a wall and then fade away. However, it has already had its intended effect, it's left all four tributes lethargic.

Katniss and Peeta begin to crawl away, and it's only the splashing of water that gives away what they're doing. Finnick, on the other hand, is yet to move. Rosalie moves over to him and gently places her hand against his face.

"Finn? Are you okay?" Her voice is low and tired.

"Y-yeah," his voice is croaky, almost silent in reality.

The two District Twelve tributes begin to make their way back to their allies, seemingly in better spirits than the older two. Peeta gently grabs her arm and manages to hoist her to her feet, which allows him to guide her over to the water.

"You just have to rub the spots in the water," Peeta instructs gently before he goes back to Katniss and they both drag Finnick over, the man obviously needing more help than her.

Rosalie gently washes the water over her arms, legs and then eventually her face. It is rather painful, a terrible stinging sensation which she has never felt before but she can handle it — it is nothing like when she had a knife driven through her hand in her first games. She doesn't think she will ever experience something that excruciatingly painful again, unless of course these Games offer up something worse.

Finnick's noises of pain make her grimace lightly, every ounce of her being hoping that he will be okay. After a few minutes, he goes quiet and then Rosalie moves over to him. He looks up at her as she helps him stand up, holding onto his waist to help him stay upright.

"You okay?" Rosalie breathes quietly.

"Yeah. You?" Finnick replies with his question, gaining a nod in response. He manages a small smile and a kiss on her forehead before leaning down to pick up his trident.

Rosalie holds her few knives she has left, just in case she needs them. Conveniently, in a matter of mere seconds, there is a group of animals flinging themselves at them. Rosalie screeches as one grabs on to her, her knife slicing its side.

The fight goes on for several minutes, each of the tributes taking out many of the creatures. Rosalie calls the younger blonde's name as one of them flys towards him but before it can reach, one of the other tributes jumps in front of him. It leaves lasting injuries as Peeta kills it, the group of tributes fleeing to the beach.

Finnick's hand gently slips into her own as they watch Peeta holding the woman who had saved him, using the sky and its magnificent colours to calm her down in her final moments. Rosalie looks at her District partner with a sorrowful gaze, knowing at one stage they may have to do the same thing that woman did — they may have to give their lives to save the others because it may be what saves Panem.

If it meant her family could be safe, Rosalie Barton would give up her life in a heartbeat.