xii. death follows

CHAPTER TWELVE!

DEATH FOLLOWS.

ROSALIE STARES UP AT THE SKY AS ZACHARIAH'S PICTURE APPEARS after the images of the two tributes from District One. Fallon, who had awoken an hour or so prior, gently rests her head on the girl's shoulder as she grieves. Neither of them say anything as his face disappears and she's left with the image in her mind.

She'd thrown the knife away, unable to keep it as its doused in the blood of her District Partner. Instead, she has one of his knives that he had been carrying in his pack. Along with it was a bottle of water, some rations and some ripe. The boy from District One had nothing but his sword on him and she left that with the two bodies, unable to look at the thing that had practically killed Zachariah.

"You should get some rest," Fallon speaks softly.

Rosalie looks at her ally who is now looking up at her.

"I can't sleep anyway, possible concussion," the girl from District Seven points out. "You need to be rested up for tomorrow. We're nearing the end now,"

"Y-yeah. Okay," Rosalie stutters lightly before closing her eyes, thinking of anything but what had occurred hours earlier.

When she wakes up the following morning, Fallon is still seated beside her. She is fully awake and watching the clouds, peacefully examining her surroundings. Rosalie sighs and sits up properly, stretching her arms above her head.

"There was another one whilst you were asleep," Fallon comments quietly. "Not sure who,"

"We will find out tonight, I guess," Rosalie croaks in response, her throat still sore from the previous evening. Her eyes still feel heavy with tears, her being awake meaning her thoughts are running at a million miles an hour.

She killed somebody yesterday, technically she killed two people. It was her knife that ended Zachariah's life, she killed him, not the boy from One. Zach's blood is on her hands and she will have to live with that.

"It's not your fault," Fallon interjects into the silence. "Just how James' death wasn't mine. That's what you said remember,"

"I killed him," Rosalie's voice is weak, full of hurt.

"You ended his suffering,"

"If I had just left when he told us to —"

"He would be dead anyway. He was too hurt, Rose. He wouldn't have been able to take on the other boy by himself,"