The Start

Aug. 2022
            It was my first day of highschool when I met him, but it was when I realized his class rank that I truly acknowledged him. My family put high expectations on me to succeed in school, so when I learned that he was tied with me for number one in our class rankings, I pushed myself harder. Only I should be number one, if I was tied with someone else then I did not meet the expectations of my parents. After a few weeks, he noticed that I was trying to beat him, and to my dismay, he started acting as my rival. When he noticed me getting better on something, he would somehow miraculously do better than me in our next task. This rivalry pushed me to excel in many of my subjects, but it was frustrating how I continued to share the number one rank with him. The both of us continually pushed each other’s buttons, always wanting to do better than the other.

- 1.9.21 -

Aug. 2023
            Our rivalry followed us from  one school year to the next, neither one of us wanting to give the other the upperhand in our situation. Many of our peers had placed bets on how this rivalry would end. Some bet on who would be number one in the end and others said we would graduate with two valedictorians. Then there were the outliers in this bet, those who made the irrational category that we would end up in a relationship together, becoming a “power couple.” This option would make sense, seeing as we had many interactions, and both of  us excelled in academics, sports, and other extracurricular activities. The only “problem” would be that neither one of us held a candle for the other. And I know for a fact that I would never fall for him.

- 1.9.21 -