Kyouka x Reader

Sorry this took so long!  It is an altered version of the other Kyouka story per @HantraxHF request!

Her hands were small in mine and trembling slightly though my own weren't much better.  Small unshed tears glistened in her eyes making them even brighter than their usual sparkle.  We were young and didn't realize just what the future would hold for us and how twisted fate tends to be. 

Kyouka squeezed my hands gently, an unspoken promise passing between us.  "We'll see each other again, Kyo.  I'll find you when I'm older," I whispered.  Even as a very young child I was motivated to grow up in order to see her again.  The relocation of my family couldn't keep us away forever, right? 

"I'll be here," she mumbled quietly.  And with one last hug I was scooped into the family vehicle and the space between Kyouka and I grew.

~~~

The young woman in front of me was almost unrecognizable, almost.  My eyes widened in familiarity as she only stared back blankly.  Years had passed since we last saw each other and the time had changed her for the beautiful.  Her dark hair was tied in two loose tails that fell down her back and she wore a lovely deep red kimono that brought out the blue of her eyes. 

I could tell by the puzzled look on her face that she didn't recognize me and my own changes.  I've of course gotten taller as well as older and on top of all of that I wore a mask over my face which hid all my important features. 

"I'm looking for the Armed Detective Agency?"  My question felt silly compared to everything else that wanted to spew from my mouth.  I wanted to burst with glee that we have been reunited, that fate and destiny had twined us together and that she's always been at the back of my mind ever since we were separated but I didn't say any of that.  Times had changed and the friendship we once had died a long time ago even though the happy memories still lingered. 

"This is the right building.  I'll go get Kunikida," her small voice rang out gently.  I bit my tongue from making any comments on how her voice was still sweet and true after all these years.  I watched her leave as my thoughts started to slow from the initial shock. 

She didn't know who I was and as much as I wanted to rip off my mask to reveal myself there was something holding me back.  She shouldn't even be here, her home was miles and miles away and I certainly never imagined her working somewhere like the ADA.  There was also a haunted look in her eyes that didn't quite click in my brain with the usual wonder-filled ones I used to know.  Something must've happened after all this time, it only made sense that life wouldn't stay the same for either of us. 

If I revealed who I was, would it drive her away?  Would she feel some type of pressure from an old life?  Maybe it was better that she didn't know my true identity.  I could still look out for her, maybe even build a new friendship with her, but either way we would never be the same.

~~~

Months had passed since then and it had taken only days for Kyouka to warm towards me and a new friendship to blossom.  Granted she didn't know who I really was and I was extra careful to keep my mask on whenever she was around.  Under no circumstances was I to show my face to her.  My strong fear suggested that I should keep a safe barrier between us for the time being. 

It didn't seem to matter though as we traded stories, told jokes and fought side by side as if we had never been torn apart in the first place.  Every laugh from her, every smile was worth the pain of keeping her at a safe distance. 

I walked up the steps to my apartment with a small smile on my face, the reassuring weight of my mask on my face lulling me to complacency. 

Pausing a moment to pull out my keys from my pocket I allowed myself the thought of a day where I would have to reveal myself to Kyouka.  We've regained our friendship but there was a chance of it dying off if I kept pushing her away like this.