Chapter Two | Where is Peter Pan's favourite place to eat out?

Start from the beginning

"Okay perfect the order is set, and the flowers will be there by Friday. Do you want there to be a specific time?"

"If you could before two p.m."

"Yep, that is all done. Thank you for calling Arabella's florist."

I push the phone back into place, ending the phone call to my best customer yet.

If you could see the shock being plastered on my face, I felt weird.

I immediately grab the phone again to call my suppliers for a batch of blue roses by Thursday, and once the payment has been settled, I decide that I deserve a well break.

I grab the store keys, along with my phone before exiting the florist.

I make sure to lock the doors twice, since it is a faulty lock, and I cannot afford a break in. Being introduced to the busy streets of New York, the horns coming from taxis and yelling, the protests for women's rights going on behind me.

I reach the near coffee shop and push the door open to see an entire queue. It is known to be the best coffee in town, and of course my good old work neighbour owns it. I notice a newspaper on an empty table, I lift it up and check what is going on whilst waiting.

Inhaling the fresh aroma of coffee beans and the perfect aroma of brownies. Brownies have always been a favourite of mine since I was a child, I used to love making them.

The recollections that rushed through my head made me laugh

THE SCANDAL ARRIVING!

Just as I was about to read it, I am suddenly nudged back. I look up to see three men wearing black suits pushing in the line, my eyebrows raise as I throw the newspaper back onto the table.

"There is a queue, if you have not already noticed?" I question them, only one of them turned to face me and with that widened eyes follow.

He elbows his friend, but he ignored him as he fixed his suit and turn back to the cashier before ordering his drink. "I will have a black short coffee with extra espresso."

"Maxwell-look..." The man in the middle turns to face me, clearly having some sort of issue. Maxwell-if that is his name just stared at me.

"Have you not been taught to be patient?" I whispered to myself, Maxwell turns back and pays the women. He then brushes passed me. "One coffee please," just as I am about to take out some cash-the worker stops me.

"Oh, the man that just left paid for your drink and a free brownie."

He pushed in and bought me a drink and a brownie? I decide to be the bigger person and walk out of the coffee shop with the brownies and coffee in hand, I look left and then right to see him opening his car door. "Excuse me!" His head shifts and faces me, once I make it to him, I push a strand of my hair behind my ears. "Thank you, for the brownie."

I take out a five dollar note and hand it to him, his eyebrows raise as he let out a soft chuckle before sliding into the car, "I do not like getting things for free, if you could please just take back the money."

"Enjoy your brownie, Mrs." He says, slamming his door closed and driving off.

There was nothing more I could do but accept it.

My phone begins ringing in my back pocket, I looked down at my two hands already full with food I put the brownie in my mouth and shrug my bag onto my arm as I take my phone out from my back pocket only to see my mother's name plastered on that ID caller.

Oh great!

She's going to get angry at me for ignoring her for the past two weeks, I walk into the park.

I'm not sure what to do; I'm not sure if I should call her or just ignore her. The comfort of the black bench, warmed by the constant sun, is a place to take in the beauty of the park, the beauty of a happy community at play. I take a seat and finish my drink.

My phone continues to ring, and I put it against my ears, giving up.

"Hey mum."

"You are in so much trouble young lady! When I see you, I will physically kill you!"

"I don't think you should say those sorts of things on the phone mum,"

"I don't care! I have been so worried for you; I almost booked a flight to New York to check in on you."

"Mum, I'm fine."

"Where have you been? How are you? Is everything all right?" No. I'm a failure.

"Mum, I'll call you when I get home."

I have been on the phone for exactly fifteen minutes with her, and once she is satisfied enough to let me go. I end the call. I push my phone into my jacket and notice the petals of flowers from the tree above me has fallen, I turn my head slightly feeling something staring at the back of my head.

When I notice two males in bodysuits staring at me.

My heart is beating, were they not with that man who brought me a drink?

I slip out of the park, fiddling with my keys as I see them following after me. Once I reach my car, I did not hesitate to slide inside and lock the door, my hands struggle to push the key into the ignition.

I look in my rear-view mirror to see them standing by the park in front of my florist. I did not know what to do except drive back to the apartment where Lauren is. I keep focus on the road.

 I keep focus on the road