Chapter 20: Dates for a Ball

"Pay attention." Snape said as he walked into the Slytherin common room. "I will not be repeating myself.

There had been a notice pinned on the board this morning telling all students to return to their common rooms after breakfast for an announcement.

"As you know Christmas is coming around soon." He said in his slow drawl. "And due to the... special circumstances of the Triwizard tournament a ball will be held on Christmas night."

"A ball?" Goyle asked dumbly.

"Yeah ya gargoyle a ball, you know with dancing... you do know what dancing is don't you?" I sneered at him.

People around me sniggered at this. "Yes thank you Weasley. The Yule Ball is a tradition for the Triwizard tournament, each of you will be representing not just Slytherin but the school as a whole" he swept his eyes across the crowd.

"That means no misbehaving, no antics, and no acting like a starved pig." He said, his eyes resting on Crabbe and Goyle.

"Each of you are allowed to bring a partner with you. Despite the ball being open to fourth years and higher only you may bring a younger student, if you are so hopelessly unable to find a partner of your own age.

"Dress robes are required, I expect all of you have brought a pair, if not don't bother showing up. That is all." He said, and the silent hush that followed Snape around disappeared as students began to talk about who they wanted to bring.

"Weasley a word." Snape said to me as I went to leave. "You have dress robes correct?"

"I do yes."

"And they are... presentable?"

I shrugged. "They're all I've got."

"Show them to me."

Feeling a bit annoyed I grabbed my hideous robes from my trunk and brought them to Snape.

He looked at them with disgust, prodding the lace. "I thought you were a fourth year Weasley, not an hundred and fourth year."

He took them from my hands tutting at them, I felt my face get warm as the other students pointed and laughed at my robes, Malfoy looking gleefully cheerful.

"These will not do... come to my office tonight Weasley, I will provide you with a more... appropriate pair of dress robes." Snape told me.

"Now then there's the matter of your partner, traditionally the champions and their partners open the Ball with a dance."

I nodded at this, I already had a person in mind.

"I expect you not to embarrass the school, ensure that you bring a partner Weasley." And with that he strode out of the common room.

Go ask her. I know you want to.

"Yeah but what if she says no?" I asked Tom as I walked through the halls.

Seriously? You think she is going to say no to you?

"A little mean don't you think?"

Look just ask her alright, I've got more experience than you.

"Like you've ever loved someone."

I waited for Tom to respond but he never did.

"You still there?"

Where would I go? I'm stuck in your head.

"Look tell me honestly do you think she'll say yes?"

Of course she will (Y/n), look you're not as bad looking as most people, and you have a decent mind. And I have to admit you've told a good joke or two.