Chapter 18: The First Task

"So the first task is a dragon?" Luna asked me as I sat next to her near the edge of the forest.

"Yeah I've got to get some kind of egg from one." I said sitting on a rock and Luna leaned against it, her head resting gently on my leg.

"And all you can bring is you wand?" She asked me.

"Yep just my wand." I said. "Although I don't know much else that would help me anyway."

I say we just kill it and take the egg.

"And I feel you'll get penalized for harming the dragon." Luna commented.

"Probably yeah."

So basically they're trying to take all the fun out of it.

"Maybe you could set them free." Luna suggested.

That's a stupid idea, set the dragon free? What would that do?

"It would allow it a way to escape." I replied, not only to Luna but also to Tom. "But how would I get the egg I need? I doubt it would leave its eggs unprotected."

"You could levitate them away, that would entice the dragon to fly after them."

"Leaving the one I need alone on the ground." I finished for her.

"See now we've got a plan!" Luna said excitedly.

"Yeah. Now I just need to actually face the dragon." I said darkly.

"I'm sure you'll do great!" Luna said to me.

...

"Where's Harry?" I asked Hermione as I joined her in Herbology.

"He went to talk with Cedric I think." Hermione told me.

"What's he doing with that prat?" I asked her.

"I think he's going to tell him about the first task." She explained to me.

"What's he going to do that for?"

"Probably so it's fair, now all the champions know about it."

"Seems a bit dumb to me, he should take any advantage he can get." I said sounding annoyed. Harry was always playing the hero.

"Hermione, (Y/n)," Harry whispered, as he sped into greenhouse three minutes later, uttering a hurried apology to Sprout as he passed her. "I need you to help me."

"What d'you think I've been trying to do, Harry?" she whispered back, her eyes round with anxiety over the top of the quivering Flutterby Bush she was pruning.

"Hermione, I need to learn how to do a Summoning Charm properly by tomorrow afternoon."

"Good luck with that mate." I told him, I mean he was my friend, but really I had to deal with this dragon too and I wasn't going to waste my time helping him when I could be preparing myself.

And so while Harry and Hermione practiced summoning charms, I worked with Tom.

Come on (Y/n) you've got to work harder than this.

"I'm trying Tom but it's not as easy as it looks." I told him as I practiced sending objects flying across the room. "It'd be easier if someone was here sending them towards me."

Only problem with that is you're the only one with a body. How about letting me take on the dragon? I have much more magical ability than you.

"Yeah not gonna happen, so is there anything else that could be useful?" I asked Tom.