TWO - Can't I even be called mother?

TWO

At work the next day, I wasn't really focused. All I thought of was home - was mom getting along with Peculiar? The baby could be troublesome if he wishes too. I just hope they are fine.

As the CEO, I kept on instructing and directing the employees. I was really tired and needed rest, lots of it. One of my employees brought her baby to work, he reminded me of peculiar and I fired her.

**************

At the door I could hear mother's voice, she was singing and the baby joined. The we are now friends, I thought. How the baby learnt the song, I didn't know and I cared less. The baby seem to get along well with granny that was his own mom. For some reasons I was happy, I need not worry much about Peculiar - he had an awesome Granny.

I was a little bit glad about his language quality. At least I would know his demands, both likes and dislikes. She cooked the meal and lunch was served. Everyone ate except Peculiar who kept demanding for milk.

Milk everytime?? This is getting annoying, infact it already is!

I got the milk and served my problematic baby. He spilt the milk and it came down swiftly from the table to the floor, I was shocked. I gave him a mean face but he didn't care.

"more milk!" he shouted with mockery and no respect for his dear mother.

At that moment, don't blame me but I wished to twist his tongue!

***********

Day and night, I lived like a mother without hope. The baby was getting out of hand and all mother could say was - all would be fine, dear.

Even though I believed her, I knew deep down in my heart that all was never going to get well as long as the strange baby was still here.

At an early age he called me by my name Nancy but I did prefer Jeanie - my friends call me that. I never felt the love of a mother neither did I know it. In my own house, I felt awkward.

My dream of being called 'Mom' was shattered by my own baby. I was beginning to hate him. Peculiar would scream and shout all day leaving me with no option than to scold him.

"shouting won't help," mother would say. She always leave me confused.

'why is mother saying this?' she did know my predicaments. I shouldn't be blamed for my actions.

I really don't know what to do anymore. I continued to panic and kept saying, "all would be fine" like mom.
I just couldn't understand mom, she herself was starting to sound strange too.

'does she really know something?' I sighed as I closed the book I was holding. This book I intended giving my son when he turned 9 but it seemed I would never have anyone to give it to.

As a sad and confused mother, in fact I forbid myself from answering that noun - MOTHER. I don't have a child, at least not this nasty thing that I doubt actually came from my womb.

I couldn't focus at work and at home. So I gave myself a break from work and preferred saving my household instead.

Nevertheless, I just couldn't help it, mother had warned severally the baby was mine and should be treated as one. I took the responsibility of looking after him and preferred calling him by his name instead of a pet name. If not for anything but to punish him for shattering my first motherhood dream of being called -
Mother.

***********

With the meat pie laying in my hand, I remembered the old times. The times when my marriage was sweet until this child ruined it.

I and Nelson had gone for a walk, I needed to stretch my muscles - it was part of the exercise I had planned to do when I got pregnant.

He offered me a purple rose, symbol of nobility. The fragrance took me to heaven but the baby's pushing brought me back and I was rushed to the hospital, to have my baby.

After having a safe but complicated delivery and with little Peculiar in my arms, I got the sad news that my husband - who had just became a father died on his way back home to get the baby's things. Tears rolled down my eyes and it still did if I remember that incident. He never got to see our baby.

I lost my appetite as I heard peculiar's voice, he was demanding For breast milk. Mother was already asleep and I had to stay awake all night feeding the baby.

His cries shouldn't wake her but his voice was determined on doing so. What a bad singer I was, I couldn't even sing lullabies for him. He succeeded in waking mother and with her yawning mouth, she stared at him sluggishly. She was tired.

I urged her to return to bed but she insisted on staying up. She knew I couldn't deal with Peculiar alone.

That night, I had a nightmare and off course Peculiar was part of it. He just wouldn't let me be.

"Was he also haunting me in the dream world?" I have a bad feeling about this.

_____

Thanks for reading ❤️❤️❤️

Remember, SVC! Share vote and comment. Your votes and comment strengthens me 😍.