•21•

Mom and I walked downstairs

Mom and I walked downstairs. Alexis, Dominique, and Adam were in the dining room.

"Aha, the self-appointed head of the family. I saw it on TV, so it must be true," Adam said. I made myself a plate to go.

"Well, someone had to step up and save this dynasty, and it wasn't gonna be anyone in this room," Mom said.

"Well, she has the arrogance for the job. Maybe not the skill set," Adam said.

"You can relax. It was just something I said to the public. Now the world has confidence that the family isn't crumbling. My statement won't have any effect on you. I have bigger things to worry about," Mom said.

"Sweetheart, I made your favorite. Eat. It helps with anxiety," Alexis said.

"I am not anxious. I am focused. In three days, I have my first State of the Company Address where I will announce a buyout of SmartVerse," Mom said.

"And we care about this why?" Adam asked.

"SmartVerse will make me a global player in the digital market, which I have to be if I am going to turn Fallon Unlimited into the crown jewel that C.A. once was," Mom said.

"So you are head of the family?" Alexis asked.

"Yes, and this is my one shot at a first impression in this role. Needless to say, I don't have time to worry about any of you. And I also don't have time to worry about access roads, so you can start digging whenever," Mom said. We left.

Timeskip

I sat with Mom in her office working on assignments.

"Has SmartVerse called? I can't close the deal if we don't have a meeting set," Mom said. The door knocked and in walked Anders. "Aw. Anders. How's life at La Mirage? Still sleeping on a rollaway in Blake's room?" Mom asked.

"My sleeping arrangements are none of your business. This, however, is your business," Anders said pulling out a leather book and setting it on Mom's desk.

"Oh, Anders. Don't tell me you're selling leather appointment books for money. My, how the not-so-mighty have fallen," Mom said. I bit back a laugh.

"That is the Carrington family calendar. In it you'll find a series of scheduled events that need your attention," Anders said.

"Okay, well, right now I'm having a hard time paying attention to you, so could you get to the point?" Mom asked.

"They're in-person obligations that Blake used to do that he's now bequeathed to you. If you care about the Carrington family legacy's health, that is," Anders said.

"Well, Blake's legs aren't broken... not anymore at least. So maybe he should focus on the leather book stuff and I should focus on the business stuff because if this presentation doesn't go well, there won't be a Carrington legacy to keep healthy," Mom said.