Ch. 22: what hunts in the shadows

Почніть із самого початку

"Well," Ryne said dryly, "at least I know who's been spoiling your supper." He flicked the end of Teagan's lollipop. "Aren't you meant to be in lessons?"

She looked at him innocently. "Am I?"

"You know perfectly well that you are."

"But it's maths." Teagan pulled a face. "I hate maths."

Ryne's face softened. It was strange to see him like this, Anna thought. Strange to see him being so gentle. She had the oddest urge to look away as Ryne scooped his cousin up, placing her in a hayloft.

"If you're going to hide," Ryne said, "at least do it well." His face was grave. "And for the record, I never saw you here."

Teagan grinned. "Thanks, Ry."

Ryne clicked his teeth. To Anna's irritation, Lightning lurched forward, falling into an easy step beside the king. Blazing sunshine blinded her as they stepped out into the chill, the horse's hooves crunching over the snow. A knot of figures in red hunting jackets were waiting for them at the edge of the woods.

"I thought you were angry with me," said Ryne.

"On reflection," Anna said, "I've decided to forgive you." Lightning slowed, and she squeezed her thighs, which the horse ignored. Naturally. "Does Teagan often skip her lessons?"

"Every chance she gets." Ryne was breathing hard. "I was like that, too. I've always preferred horses to books. Camille thought I was mad."

"She lives at the castle with you?"

"Yes. Teagan's father — my uncle — passed on last year. She came to live with me shortly afterwards. Her brother Eris is..." Ryne hesitated. "He's difficult. Let's just say that it wouldn't have been easy to live with him." He waved at a man, who led a horse towards them. "She seems to like you."

"I think she likes the lollipops."

"Thank-you," Ryne said quietly. "For looking after her. Despite what I — what happened between us."

His green eyes said the rest. When I humiliated you.

Anna tilted her head. Was he being sincere?

Fortunately, Ryne's horse spared her from the decision. The creature arrived, and Ryne swung on to it without hesitation, his body strong and fluid. Anna eyed the black horse skeptically. She knew little about animals, but that one looked big. And scary.

"You do know how to ride, don't you?" Ryne asked.

"Of course," she lied.

"And hunt?"

She met his gaze. "I never miss a shot, if that's what you're asking."

Ryne nodded. "Be careful. Lightning's the fastest horse in all of Wynterlynn, and he's got a nasty temper, too." Anna gave him a skeptical look. Ryne patted Fang's neck. "Just try not to fall off, anyway. Or get shot."

Ryne's thighs squeezed, and then Fang shot forward, galloping towards the woods. Two figures shot after him: Isaac, a sword strapped to his back, and Camille. Anna swore, snapping at the reins. Lightning looked unimpressed.

"Move," Anna hissed. "Move, you great brute."

Lightning ate a daisy, his large teeth chomping happily.

"Move!"

Anna kicked her legs, and this time Lightning listened. The horse set off at a merry trot, just keeping pace with the back of the group. A few riders shot her curious looks, but nobody commented on her presence. Then again, Anna thought, everyone watched Ryne's little show the other day; they all knew better than to question him.