Chapter Twenty Nine- We Just Want to Help

Start from the beginning

"Can I help, prick?"

"Well there's no need to be rude."

"What do you want?"

"That depends. What is your literary database like?"

His shirt smeared the grease across his glasses more than they cleaned it, but it was a good enough habit to rebalance himself. "What are you looking for?"

"I believe it is Breaking the Dawn."

"Breaking... Dawn...? What-"

"Somethings up with the kid."

Tony's urgency reflected in his panicked eyes as he strode into the room.

"How so?"

"He's... off. I know that's not a lot, but..."

"Would you like me to scan his mind?" Loki rolled his eyes at the Iron Man's horrified expression. "Not like a deep dive. Just scan the general aura, I suppose. It's difficult to explain. I won't learn anything, but I'll be able to sense if things are... strange." Stark narrowed his eyes.

"What kind of strange?"

"What are you talking about?"

Bruce shivered at Parker's monotonous tone, glancing up to the doorway to see dead eyes burning back at him. He froze, an almost instinctual feeling of... being hunted. This was definitely strange.

"He smells of seidr, or something similar."

"He smells of what?"

"It's my new cologne."

"The child reeks of Frost Giant magic."

"It's slushy-"

"Peter, shut it. And you," Stark angrily jabbed his finger in Loki's direction, "you leave my child out of this."

"I'm not a child?"

"Peter, you're sixteen."

"Actually I'm 15-"

"Peter, hush, the adults are talking."

"But-"

"If I may interject into this rather exciting rapport?" Loki's flat voice wrought glares from both men in the room. "Shall I?" Little green sparks danced across his fingertips. Tony hesitated, then nodded imperceptibly and struck up a conversation with the kid. Bruce nervously backed into the shadows. He's been involved in enough mind fuckery, thank you.

Warmth gently rolled over him as the air shimmered. Bruce stared. He had to admit, it was beautiful. He watched as the green weaved soft tendrils, gently playing with his hair, so light the boy didn't even feel them. They reached towards him, then back off sharply as Loki hissed. Peter froze, turning his head almost 180 to stare at the demigod. Loki stilled, eyes wide as though a deer caught in headlights. He chuckled nervously, tongue darting over his lips.

"Yes?"

Peter narrowed his eyes, gaze scrutinising, before he turned back to his mentor and resumed conversation as usual, animated and face full of life. Loki cleared his throat awkwardly and shuffled out the room, speed walking down the corridor as he tried to retain an air of dignity- while fleeing.

—————————————————————————-

She wasn't particularly close to the kid, Natasha would admit. She wasn't a maternal person. That had been ripped out of her long ago. She wasn't the caring, nurturing type. She liked Clint's kids. But they were Clint's. It was different. Sure, he was nice... but so are lots of people.

Still, that didn't mean she didn't feel bad for him. Someone had essentially installed a video camera in his brain, and he hadn't even known. The look in his face as they locked him up. He didn't know. He didn't understand.

Stark had been fuming in the corner. She didn't blame him. If she were in the same position, she'd be pissed. She might be a ruthless assassin, but she liked to think at least a calcified heart beat inside her hollow chest. She hoped.

The trickster bitch was speaking a lot of fancy words, but wasn't really saying anything. Very on brand, if she was honest. She didn't like him. But worst of all, there was some tiny, minuscule, insignificant part of her that found him hilarious. That had her cutting back a snort at his snide comments, a smirk at remarks muttered under his breath. He was... witty. And she despised it.

Thor was doing a wonder at translating Lokispeak. "A pathetic pile of duct tape and loose screws" meant "the ship", and "irritating nerd that would have done wonders on Asgard" meant Steve. At least his assessments were fair.

—————————————————————————

"So what you're saying, is you're going to go inside his brain and get rid of the camera."

"Essentially."

"So why did that take you half an hour to say?"

"The Aesthetic."

"I... don't even know what to say."

—————————————————————————-

There must be a reason. There must be. They wouldn't lock him up for no reason. They were his family. Mr Star was his family.

Are you sure?

Yes. Yes, he was sure. He trusted them. May trusted them, and that woman was amazing at reading people. He was fine. He was going to be fine. There must be a reason.

Are you sure?

Yes! Yes! He is! He trusts them with his life! He trusts them. He knows them. They're family. They wouldn't hurt him.

Are you sure?

Yes, he's always being told how much they love him. It's overbearing sometimes. So they must love him.

Are you sure?

He thinks so. They make sure he's fed, they look after him.

...

That might be because he's underage, but so what? Most people wouldn't go to those lengths to make him happy. Would they?

...

Would they?

...

What if it was just obligation? What if it was just pity? How long had he even been in here? And what was that voice in his head?

Ssh, we're here. We'll always be here. You'll never be alone.

He wasn't alone! Mr Stark and the others were nearby! They'd explain everything soon!

Are you sure?

Why does it keep saying that?

We just want to help.

Then why would it try and break them apart?

We just want to help.

Maybe... it could help him get out?

We just want to help.

—————————————————————————-

A/N: I know it's been a while, so here's a slightly longer story. Don't want to pull out a "crazy Wattpad story" but... damn. Shit really does happen. If y'all are interested, lmk.

Anyways, plenty of angst and sass. Hope y'all enjoyed. Not gonna be a long note cause I'm tired as fuckkk.

Question of the Week:

Who's going to die soon >:)

Anyway, hope y'all enjoyed it. Gonna try n be more regular cause I'm basically unemployed atm *insert desperate manic giggling*

Hope your skin is clear and your eye bags faint. Stay frosty 🤟🏻