Trick or Treat

Trick or Treat

The Montgomery-Grey family on Halloween.

"You're old enough to take them by yourself now," Meredith announces proudly to Zola.

"You can all go trick or treating together, you don't need us with you," adds Addison.

"You don't want to come?" asks Zola.

"Not at all, it's just..." Meredith trails off awkwardly.

"Oh, you want some time with momma," says Zola.

"Would that be okay?" asks Addison.

"Of course," says Zola. "Happy to help."

"That's our girl," says Meredith.

Zola gives them both a big hug before she goes to get dressed along with her siblings.

"Mommy, momma, help me with my dress!" Announces Ellis.

"There you go, Ellis!" Addison pats Ellis's dress, as Meredith helps Bailey with his bee costume.

Henry rushes in with a stormtrooper suit that is from last year, but still a little bit big on him.

Zola arranged them all in the kitchen for a photo in their costumes before they head out trick or treating.

"Bye! We'll be back in a few hours!" Says Zola.

"Bye!" Says Ellis.

"Bye!" Says Bailey.

"See ya," says Henry, as he closes the door behind them.

When their kids leave, Meredith and Addison expect that their house will be flooded with trick-or-treaters.

Ten minutes pass by and nobody knocks at the door.

"Do you want to watch a scary movie?" Asks Addison.

"Sure," says Meredith.

They put it on, and instead of Addison laughing at it like she thought she would've, she's cowering under the blankets and Meredith holds her hand, and reassures her that it's not real.

"The hand! The hand is going to get us!" Says Addison.

"There's no hand, Addison," says Meredith.

"... or is there!?" Meredith squeezes Addison's shoulder, and she jumps, and then she glares at her wife when she realizes that it's not real.

"Not funny!" Says Addison.

"It's a little bit funny," says Meredith. "It's at least incredibly cute."

Addison pouts, and Meredith kisses her on the nose before she tucks Addison into the blankets again.

Lulled to sleep by the warmth, Addison slowly drifts off to sleep, and Meredith eventually joins her.

They're sound asleep when the crew comes charging back into the house, with the end of the movie still playing.

"Oh cool! It's a hand!" says Henry.

"Look at that detail!" says Ellis, not scared at all.

"Ghost!" says Zola.

Bailey giggles.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-" Addison wakes up startled when she stares right at the ghost on the screen.

"AHHHHH-" Meredith screams because Addison is screaming.

"I can't believe we're more scared than you!" says Ellis proudly.

"We'll protect you, mommies!" says Bailey.

"Thank you," says Addison sheepishly.

"You're welcome," says Zola.

"How did it go?" asks Meredith.

"All of this candy!" says Henry.

"Time to go trade it!" says Ellis.

"True!" says Bailey.

And the kids run off to sort all of their candy.

"I guess they really are independent," says Addison.

"I can't believe it!" says Meredith. "It goes by so fast!"

"It sure does," says Addison. "Now, do you want to go see if we can score some candy?"

"Absolutely," says Meredith. "I'm right behind you."