Day 5

It is often said that a man who has his emotions under control has moved a step closer toward maturity. Sometimes, controlling one's emotions is all that can be done in a given situation.

Finding a solution or consoling a broken heart come much later, and sometimes man doesn't have the power to work on those.

He simply accepts things for what they are and walks on. And in the entanglement that ensues, he is both the puppet and the puppeteer.

Soon after being done with his ablutions, Arun goes into his brother's room to check on him. The plate of food is kept untouched on the bed since the last day.

'What madness is this?' he thinks but is unable to voice the words out.

The silhouette of Arjun moves, scratches it's head and then becomes still again.

"Why are you doing this?" Asks Arun.

"I don't know what you mean by that." He hears Arjun speak for the first time in weeks.

"Oh you know what I mean by that."

"Go to work. Don't waste my time."

"This attitude won't do. I'm calling dad and asking him to take you away."

"And say what to him?"

"Whatever needs to be said."

Arjun chuckles.

"What's so funny?"

"Do as you please."

With that, Arjun gets up from bed and exits the room, whistling a song Arun hasn't heard before.

'Im telling him.'

But he cannot tap the call button on the phone.

'I need to deal with this as maturely as I can.'

He dresses for the day and leaves for office. His eyes fixated on a single point in space throughout the duration of his commute.

Rebecca meets him as soon as he enters his cubicle. The scent of Jasmine as delightful as ever.

"Change in schedule, we need that writeup now." She says.

"Now now?" He asks.

"In an hour maybe?"

"I'll see what I can do."

"Which loosely translates to you'll have it in forty minutes. You're a champ."

"Please don't patronise me."

She chuckles.

'what's with the chuckles today?'

He gets to work and places a printout on Rebecca's desk in forty minutes.

"If you could approve this." Says Arun.

"He didn't brief you, did he?" Asks Rebecca.

"Who, the toad?" He asks.

"Yes. You no longer need my approval. In fact, from today onwards, you take my place."

"That's a relief. So where do you go?"

"Far from here. To a saner place."

Arun smiles at her.

"Sanity is something I need too." He says.

"Then come with me."

He thinks about it but does not answer. Instead, he only keeps his emotions under control.