Day 4

The sun never changes colour. The sky doesn't too. Yet if you look closely, each day has its own dominant hue, bathing all that you see in a light that differs ever so slightly. Such is the cycle of the days.

Arun wakes up at the first sound of the alarm. He squints at the stray beam of sunlight intruding into his room. Perhaps he too sees the dominant hue of the day and even comprehends how it differs from the previous days'.

It's a very usual day on the surface, change in dominant hue or not. Arun falls into his rhythm like a gymnast in a routine he has practiced for a thousand days.

After shaving his cheeks and trimming his vandyke, he prepares breakfast and, as a second thought, decides to make some for his brother too.

'It's time I sat and spoke with him.'

He eats his meal and takes a plate for his brother into his room.

"I made food." Says Arun.

Silence between the two.

"Why don't you talk?" He sits on the bed.

Silence again.

"Listen, if you have a problem with me, why don't you say it?"

Birds chirping on the balcony.

"Tch."

He exits the room, leaving the plate on the bed. The silhouette of Arjun against the backlight of the curtained window is etched onto his retina.

'What a guy.'

After dressing into clothes he randomly picked from the cupboard, he leaves for work.

The cubicle awaits him like a patient dog. The red file on the desk like it's lapping tongue. Time for work.

As he writes, the cacophony of the office fades away and a white noise fills his head. The only link to this side of existence is the fragrance of jasmines, which gradually grows stronger.

Rebecca watches him work with knit brows.

"Hate to disturb but the boss wants to see you." She says.

"Oh yeah?" Replies Arun.

"In ten minutes."

"I'll be there in five."

The boss's office is a cool cabin with a walnut desk and purple cove lighting.

"Have a seat, Arun." He says.

Arun sits down and looks him in the eye.

"We think you are doing a great job." He goes on.

Arun does not look away.

"And seeing how we have greatly benefitted from all the work you have done, we'd like to give you a promotion."

"Sounds great. Thanks."

"No need to thank me, this was unanimously passed by the higher ups. You deserve it."

"I'll get going then."

"Of course, don't let me interrupt your work. Rebecca says you have a big assignment."

"It's big, yes."

"Carry on, then."

Rebecca shoots him a glance from her cubicle and smiles. Arun smiles back.

The hue of the day was a warm yellow and the colour of the sky was a cerulean blue, yet all this marvelous light filling his eyes wasn't enough to erase the dark silhouette of Arjun etched onto his retina.