Day 2

The alarm rings at 6:30 AM. It's time for work. Arun gets up from bed languidly and goes about his ablutions. He makes himself a few sandwiches and decides against making some for his brother. The tea is made just to his liking but it doesn't bring him joy.

He dresses up in a powder blue shirt and brown trousers and leaves for office. The bus to the metro station is on time, like it is each day. The bus passes the same old buildings. He watches them indifferently.

The metro pulls into the platform on time. He finds a seat and closes his eyes.

"Please stand clear of the door" says the voice from the speakers.

He pulls out his phone and texts his brother. "Have food and do the dishes, please."

At the interchange, he leaves one metro to find a seat in the next one like always. In the metro, he bumps into a friend.

"Long time ya." Says Nisha.

"Ya, indeed." Replies Arun.

"How're you doing?"

"I'm fine. And you?"

"Fine too. You're working around here now?"

"Yes. And you?"

"A bit further."

"Ok."

"How are you doing now, really?"

"I'm good, better than ever. Why do you ask again?"

"Never mind."

"Doors will open on the right. Please mind the gap." Says the voice from the speakers.

"Well, this is me." Says Arun. "Nice seeing you again."

"Arun." Says Nisha.

He looks back.

"Take care." She says.

"I will, you too." He does a quick salam before the door slams shut.

As he sits in the rickshaw, he pulls out his phone to check if his brother has replied. He hasn't even read the message.

He calls him but the phone keeps ringing. He is probably still asleep, that sloth, he thinks to himself.

The day at the office is usual in every way. There's little work, the coffee is bad, the boss is a giant toad.

He leaves at 5 PM and takes the same old route back home. The buildings are the same but they disappear in another direction, that's all.

When he reaches home, it feels cold again. He goes into the kitchen to drink some water and sees the pile of utensils in the sink.

"Tch."

He starts washing them himself. He only wants some peace of mind. But this this has got so change, he tells himself.

He stands at the door of his brother's bedroom and releases a sigh.

"Just talk to me, will you?"