Chapter 28

.

.

.

Once the four of them (including an unconscious Eren) arrived with the rest of the survey corps, yn placed Eren's body on the back of a plain, wooden cart

Once the four of them (including an unconscious Eren) arrived with the rest of the survey corps, yn placed Eren's body on the back of a plain, wooden cart. His body now no longer bore any slime or titan saliva because it had been blown off of him in the wind from the speed at which yn, Mikasa and Levi were travelling.

"Are you sure this is safe?" yn asked, looking at the soldiers surrounding her sceptically. "Won't he fall out?"

"Unfortunately, it's the best option we have..." a soldier said, looking down at the ground. yn noticed this and looked at the other soldiers around her.

The atmosphere of the whole situation was incredibly gloomy and grim. Soldiers were wrapping up the dead corpses in white fabric, tying them with rope and carrying each body carefully to a line on the ground, where they would be stacked one on top of the other in the small wooden carts. Some soldiers were too upset to deal with the reality of the situation and were sitting on the ground in contemplation.

It seemed as though the younger ones were more grievous than the older, more experienced adults. Two teens - who Eren had described to her as Armin and Jean - were stacking one cart with bodies and talking in low, mournful voices.

"This is the one thing I'll never get used to..." Jean spoke, looking at the bodies he stacked.

"I don't think anyone could," Armin said, emphasising the word 'anyone' with certainty.

"Oh you'd be surprised," yn thought. It was the one thing that had confused her the most, she had seen so much death in her life, most of it because she even wasn't there or wasn't fast enough. She had been exposed to it for so long, that she almost felt numb to it. It came with being a demon slayer, and she knew that well. So then why, did the lives of people she knew when she was only a child, affect her more than severed heads or cut-off limbs?

And not even just that, these people- no, these soldiers, made her feel things she never thought she would experience again.

Petra.

Oluo.

Gunther.

Eld.