The Casso Liah Battle

Threat of a Lifetime

650 AC, Dusk at 5:48
Border Across Casso Liah

Voices . . .

I could hear voices. Loud, pained, grieved . . . along with mournful cries—a hymn that powers my bloodlust to slay more and kill every creature within my reach.

"Die, demon!"

I side-glanced at a soldier whose hands were emitting red flames. Before turning my body to face him who was about to strike me, my feet thrusted a hard kick at another soldier to my right. My mouth twisted into a sly grin. Poor creature.

Swiftly, my hands gripping on my bloodied scimitars were already meters away from the guy's chest, until a lone rapier opposed my attack.

"Don't! Help the others and tell the frontline troop to fall back."

A man dressed in golden armor materialized. His mere presence alarmed my senses, transforming my eyes from gray to amber gold. And as his lifeless, blood-red eyes looked into mine, it provoked even more. I shot him a menacing glance as wolf teeth started to show under my lips.

I had never before encountered such intense energy coming from a creature other than my father. He's no ordinary.

"Crimson Heiress, I've been hearing that title for months now," The man said as his rapier burst into flames. I could feel the scorching heat coming from his weapon even though he was a meter away.

"And you're no one to me. I also don't intend to get to know you."

He hummed. "You need to, because after this, your evil reign will come to an end. Duris Kellark is the name, and waging war against Casso Liah will be your greatest downfall, Lycan Princess. On this day, your history shall be rectified."

Although it wasn't the first time, it was the only moment when I felt goosebumps after hearing a threat.

I was unaware of what transpired thereafter. The surroundings became distorted and blurry. The sound of our swords colliding, our incessant cursing, and low groans were all I could remember. It continued in that manner for a while, wearing us completely down, until a piercing sound silenced every creature on the battlefield.

A searing pain wrapped my chest as my wolf and human form switched from time to time. I clung onto the blazing rapier that had pierced my heart. Catching my breath, my eyes widened as it shot a staggered gaze at the purple, gooey substance that was wrapped around the blade beneath the flames.

W-Wolfsbane, n-no.

A coughing sound awakened me. I turned to face the man, who was also holding one of my scimitars that had been pierced in his chest and one that had been plunged into his stomach.

No, this couldn't be the end of me! Oak would be disappointed. Father would be enraged!

"I'd b-be glad to offer my life i-in exchange of your death. You shall forever rot and perish in h-hell."

Hell? Did he mean, my home?

I could start to feel the poison seeping into my veins and preventing air from entering my body. And yet, I managed to snicker at the Duris man.

"T-Then I'll bring you to hell with m-me," As my final breath vanished into thin air, I muttered those words. I felt weak and lost my balance. My body sprawled on the arid, dusted ground.

For the first time in my life, I felt as though my eyes were about to close—permanently. And all I could think about was hoping that this wasn't the end of me.

HagaraSibs, 2022