39

☄. *. ⋆

[Y/N] stared at the back garden of the Kamisato estate with a concerned expression. She watched the various servants scurrying around as she fumbled with her fingers. It was already evening, and the tiredness of her eyes couldn't be mistaken. Moreover, the uneasiness she had been worrying about had not yet gone away. To add to that, she'd slept terribly the night before. The room, and the bed, were both comfortable enough, but she'd been plagued with strange dreams, the sort that lingered upon waking but slithered away from memory as she tried to grasp them. Only the tendrils of discomfort remained.

Suddenly she heard footsteps behind her, and she turned her head to greet the man with a small smile. It was Ayato, and surprisingly, he looked happier than ever.

But his smile wavered upon him settling his eyes on [Y/N]'s tired expression. He fastened his pace as he strode up to her. And before saying anything, he placed his hand on her cheek, caressing it gently, "Did you not get any sleep last night?"

The woman chuckled, "No, no... I did. I'm... you know."

She shifted her gaze away from him, her smile disappearing, "I'm sorry."

Ayato took on a concerned look. He understood the reason behind the woman's worry. This was far more important than anything else they'd ever done, and the stakes were high. It was only natural for her to be apprehensive, "Don't apologize, we can just cancel everything and think of another way."

She met his gaze again, her eyes flickering with uncertainty, "No! We cannot! We can't just cancel a meeting with the Raiden Shogun. Don't be absurd."

Ayato frowned, "I don't care what the Raiden Shogun thinks of me. If it's for you — for your safety — I'm willing to go against anyone."

[Y/N] took hold of the hand which caressed her cheek, forcing a smile, "No. We're not doing this for ourselves... we're doing this for the people who have suffered in our stead. Let's not be so selfish, Ayato. Whatever it is that is waiting for me there, I'm not backing out."

Ayato let out a sigh, "You're so stubborn. What good will that bring?"

"Quite a lot in the long run."

For you or others? Ayato wished he could ask, but he already knew the answer and did not wish to hear it from [Y/N]'s mouth. With a groan held back, Ayato decided to let it go. She was right. This had to be done, and they couldn't control the Raiden Shogun's judgement.

He took her hand into his and kissed the back of it tenderly.

The woman smiled at this. It felt so bittersweet.

After a moment or two, the two began making their way to Tenshukaku—the place in which the Raiden Shogun resides. When they arrived, they were met with stern-looking knights. [Y/N] had never been in this place before. It seemed pretty, but unfortunately, she couldn't spare any time to take in the views of the architecture for the knights had already stepped to the side to let them walk through.

"Lord Kamisato, Madame Kamisato," they bowed their heads as the two made their way inside.

Once they stepped inside, [Y/N] was surprised to see Yae Miko there as well.

The two women made eye contact, and Miko smiled, "So you've arrived. I was certain you'd chicken out, but I suppose I was wrong?"

[Y/N] smiled, "Lady Guuji... what a pleasant surprise. I thank you again for your help last time."

Miko hummed, "No need. Although... are you not going to ask me for my help again? After all, your brother is making his way here as well."

Ayato let out a chuckle, "Seeing how you're acting, I assume you've read through the documents I sent you?"