27

☄. *. ⋆

As their conversation continued, Ayato's vision grew more blurred, the room seemed to be upside down, and a terrible headache overcame his mind. He rubbed his temples with his eyes closed - he was frowning.

But even through this sudden attack of fatigue, he continued to converse... or rather argue with [Y/N], "You aren't. You tried and you failed as did I, and as did your father. He is irredeemable, and we both agree on this, so what is stopping you from believing that he wasn't made into a criminal by his past?"

The woman bit her lip, "There is simply no way he could've been abused. My parents were good people."

Ayato slightly opened his eyes, making an effort to look at his wife, "There was a lot... that happened to both him and you. We cannot pinpoint exactly... what..." However, Ayato could not feign feeling alright for long. His body was falling apart and he knew it.

At the sudden silence [Y/N] perked up, examining the man in front of her. Only now did the woman notice that Ayato wasn't in the best shape.

She walked around his desk, slightly bending down and placing one of her hands on his shoulder, and the other on his cheek, she then muttered, "Ayato? Are you alright?"

Ayato stayed silent for a moment, but then he nodded slowly, "I think I need to... lay down... please," his voice was anything but stable, and this worried [Y/N].

The woman nodded and gradually helped him stand up, however, as Ayato took one step forward he suddenly took on a pale look, as if he'd been painted with whitewash-even his lips were barely there. Then with one more step forward he crumpled like a puppet suddenly released from its strings. The last thing he heard was the worried voice of his wife.

After this incident-two days passed.

And only then did Ayato open his eyes. The premature light of the room blinded him, yet he could not move his body to shield his eyes from it. He slightly shifted his eyes to the side, seeing the Kamisato clan's personal physician in the room with him.

Ayato could barely open his mouth to speak. It was as if his body could no longer function properly, "Doctor?"

Upon Ayato's words, the physician turned around, his eyes wide open, "My Lord?"

To Ayato it seemed as though the physician did not expect him to wake up any time soon. Nonetheless, the physician rushed to his aid, hurriedly asking if Ayato was alright. But of course, he wasn't. He felt as though he was on the brink of death. Ayato watched as the physician called multiple nurses into the room, having them check his condition. He heard them say something about a fever.

And in that fever, he shivered. All the medics could do for some while was pass cool air over his skin with fans in that air-conditioned room. He wasn't even sure what kind of room he was in. Nonetheless, he knew that If the temperatures spikes, enzymes die, and body biochemistry slows, then there is death, and he couldn't allow that to happen. Not yet at least.

After an hour or so, Ayato could feel his body heat returning to normal. He was still in critical condition, but there wasn't much that he could do about it other than fight through the pain, however agonizing it was.

At least now he could comprehend his whereabouts. He was in a room at the very backside of the estate, where the sick went. These rooms were never given much care since none of the Kamisato's would fall sick a lot. And so Ayato quickly grew bored of his surroundings. There was too much on his plate to be laying in bed so nonchalantly.

Ayato held in a sigh. Laying in the bleach-tinctured ward on the crisp but thinning sheets. He watched a curtain hang limply on the chrome railing, looking like it's been washed a thousand times. With thoughts of having to renovate this place after he gets better, he heard the doors open, welcoming [Y/N] into the dreary room.

The two were silent. Only the steps of [Y/N] walking closer to Ayato could be heard. She sat down beside the huge bed the commissioner was laying in, resting her hand on his, and feeling the coldness of his skin.

She then spoke, albeit quietly, "How are you holding up?"

Ayato mustered up a smile, "I've been better. And you?"

At his words, Ayato could clearly see the concern deepen on [Y/N]'s face. But after a minute, she nodded, "Same as you."

The man cleared his throat before opening his mouth to speak again, "Has the detective made any suspicious moves in my absence? And what of the estate? Is everyone okay?"

[Y/N]'s hold of Ayato's hands tightened, and he could clearly see her frowning, "Ayato, you almost died."

The smile faded from the man's face, and he muttered, "I'm aware."

With each word she spoke, her grip became tighter, "Even right now you're fighting for your life. If your fever doesn't vanish soon, you might perish. Were you aware of that?"

Ayato heaved a sigh, "That too... I'm aware of."

As Ayato said this, [Y/N] looked him in the eyes. She hated how he was so used to being strong that despite death being at his door, he still remained calm and almost carefree. She hated how only through his eyes could she tell what he truly felt. She could tell he was visited by fears so immense, so multiple, that she could almost feel the terror pulsing inside of him. As though some beast breathed all the time at the windowpanes of his mind. She hated how she couldn't do anything for him. And she despised how she knew that he wasn't worried for himself, but rather, for everyone else and the things that would occur were he to die.

"You needn't be powerful, Ayato. Not right now. Especially not right now."

"If I stop being strong now... can anyone guarantee my survival?"

This too she hated. He was always right. Just this once, she wished that he would be wrong. Her bottom lip shook slightly, and she brought his hand to her forehead. She could not control the tears that were threatening to come out of her eyes.

The best she could do for him right now was ease his worries, "Detective Heizou has done nothing suspicious. I've been managing the estate just fine... Everyone else has been okay, they've just been worried for your well-being."

Ayato hummed, "You're still in mourning. I'm sorry you have to get back to work so soon."

[Y/N]'s hands shook. She couldn't say anything for a while, because if she did, she knew she would cry, and that wasn't what she wanted. She detested the fact that he was worrying for her at the moment with her entire being. And she knew she would detest herself even more if she started crying in front of him. She shifted her eyes away from him, her head hanging low.

After some time passed, her shaking subsided, "I believe it's Ayaka's turn to visit you now," she lifted her head up with a smile, "They're only letting one person in at a time."

"Classic protocol," muttered Ayato, "Please tell her to visit me tomorrow."

[Y/N] stood up, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to tire you out."

Ayato chuckled, "No... I just... want you to stay by my side for today. Just stay here and forget everything else."

He didn't let go of the woman's hand as he said this. He could feel himself drifting off, and he wanted to cherish every little second he got to spend with her... lest it was his last.

Upon his words she sat back down, trying her best to sound as collected as she could, "You can go to sleep now. I will be here for as long as you'll have me."

The commissioner smiled, his eyes now closed, "Thank you."

And with that-he drifted off to sleep. The woman only hoped he would open his eyes again.

☄. *. ⋆