10

☄. *. ⋆

"Hm... This should do," [Y/N] said as she observed her appearance in the mirror.

She and Ayato were getting ready to leave. After all, it was a vacation, and what a waste of time would it be to stay inside throughout it all, therefore, they planned an outing. She was quite excited about it as well. It's been years since she last enjoyed herself in town.

She even prepared herself a dress all the way from one of the most famous clothing shops in Inazuma. She quite enjoyed their variety. The kimono sat upon her skin as soft petals, its hue the many pinks of a rose garden. It complimented her hair and eyes very well. It also refined her figure. Needless to say, she felt incredibly beautiful in it, even though she never cared much for such things.

She felt like a simple girl who did not need to fight for her life all the time. It was a feeling she was going to cherish for a long time.

She hummed, walking out of the dressing room with a merry expression.

Ayato took notice of it, "You seem rather pleased."

Upon witnessing his interested gaze, she managed to control her broad smile, toning it down, "Well, would you rather I was miserable?"

"No, of course not," he extended his hand toward her, with a smile coating his face as well, "You look lovely by the way."

[Y/N] beamed back at him, taking his hand, "You as well, commissioner."

The two walked out of the vacation home and soon reached a waypoint that would take them all the way to Ritou. The Irodori festival had taken place there, but unfortunately, [Y/N] couldn't participate. She's been in Ritou a few times before, but never for a leisurely stroll. It was always for business, so perhaps that is why she had never taken in the beauty of it. Seeing it normally for the very first time in her life was such an amazing experience. With the numerous vendors, the cheery people, and the lack of malicious nobles there was such a breath of fresh air. 

What's more—Ayato, who still hadn't let go of her hand, was eternally happy to see such a curious expression on his wife's face. He had noticed her acting like a curious child around things that she had never seen before, and since he was aware of her background and of the way she grew up, he was delighted to know that he could watch her experience all these new things together by her side.

The most observant man in Inazuma didn't even notice the nosy gazes and whispers of the citizens of Inazuma as they saw the most famed couple here in Ritou. He was far too focused on taking in each and every little smile [Y/N] was making.

He didn't even realize when he started liking her so much, when he started to notice every little thing she did, or when he had grown to care so deeply for her. After all, it wasn't as if they had spent an enormous amount of time together, but perhaps it was the fact that she was vigorous? Maybe it was because she worked hard for what she wanted, and did not expect her birthright to guarantee her success. She put on a fight. He was well aware that one had to be strong and courageous to succeed. Whenever someone put her down or criticized her, she did not shy away from a battle, she took them all head-on and she won.

And she would've won entirely if it was not for her brother.

But even though she had learned of her brother's plans, she did not hate him. She was nevertheless kind and she still held a deep respect and love for him. But even with her kindness, she was still ruthless to those who dared to harm her. He had learned of that when she punished the man who poisoned her with death. Ayato knew it was his fault, and he knew that she did what she did so he would not see her as a weakling.

She was powerful, and she made sacrifices when necessary. And she did not pretend as if those sacrifices meant nothing. She continues to live with that guilt, and for that, he could never let go of her hand or of her heart.

When she first arrived at the Kamisato estate, he wanted nothing more but to make her trust him and have her under his thumb. All for the sake of his family's safety. But she proved to be a worthy opponent, she proved that she was not a heartless monster. She made him realize that he had gone too far, at long last, that he shouldn't have been so distrusting.

Or maybe it was because she was so keen on protecting him from the Fatui? That also made him rather happy. After such a long time, he could sleep peacefully without having to worry about getting killed in his sleep.

Without knowing it, she had begun changing him as a person.

The true secret of happiness lies in taking a genuine interest in all the details of daily life. And now, he had subconsciously started to take interest in everything that she was.

"Oh!" Suddenly, her cheery voice encircled his ears, and so he asked, "What is it?"

She turned to look at Ayato, clearly trying to hide her excitement as to uphold her noble dignity, "That stall over there! Come, come, come with me," She dragged him to the stall, still unaware of the fact that they were holding hands. Ayato found it rather amusing.

"Commissioner! And, m-milady!" The person behind the stall began sweating bullets and bowing deeply before the two.

"No need to bow before us, please. We are on vacation, after all. Treat us as you would your other customers," Ayato raised his hand, motioning to the person to cease their bowing.

"Y-Yes! What would you like, milady?"

"I'd like a lucky charm, the blue one," she pointed at a beautifully made lucky charm. It was blue laced with noble gold. Such lucky charms were made to hang on the swords of warriors who went out to battle. Many believed in their effects.

Ayato seemed confused, "A lucky charm?"

She laughed at his perplexed expression, "Indeed," she took the charm from the stall person's hands and turned to face Ayato, whose confusion had not yet disappeared.

"Come, let's go find somewhere desolate."

After paying for the lucky charm, both of them made their way to a place near Ritou which had an exquisite Sakura tree. The tree lifted its branches to the sky as if his very presence was enough to beat back the darkness and command the daylight to fall on his papery leaves. His bark shone like the right kind of gold, the sort that inspires the mind to heady heights of imagination, opening doors to fantastical kingdoms.

[Y/N] eyed Ayato, who was still smiling softly, and her heart skipped a beat. Under the sun which was now coming down ever so slowly, he looked ethereal.

"Living with you, I have realized that being the commissioner often puts your life at risk. Far too often. So, even if you do not believe in things such as luck, please accept this gift of mine and hold it close to your heart. I do hope it protects you."

She did this for a selfish reason. For protection. So he would think of this moment when the time comes to fight against her brother, and so he would stand by her side. But also, her heart stirred at the way his face shone so brightly when he took the charm into his hands.

He was handsome from the depth of his eyes to the gentle expressions of his voice. He looked so beautiful from his generous opinions to the touch of his hand upon her own. She loved the way his voice quickened when he sparkled with a new idea or was so enjoying one of hers that he lost himself for a moment and quite forgot the mask he wore for others.

He looked lovely, his hands were as soft as silk as he cupped her cheek, and as he spoke, his voice was no longer laced with mischief, but it was full of sincerity.

"To think you'd think of me like that," he rested his forehead upon hers, "I shall cherish and protect it with my life. Thank you."

Though his lips were pretty, it was the feel of them that sent her mind into a sensual state of intoxication. In that kiss was the sweetness of passion, a million loving thoughts condensed into a moment.

Who would've thought that they would end up this way?

☄. *. ⋆