The dreaded three beeps of the call being terminated were the next sound to fill my ear. I turned to face the side of the bed that was occupied by Alex before tour, reaching my hand across and stroking it with my thumb. I couldn't quite reiterate how much I missed her, but I knew that however much that was, she felt the same way about me.

The next day was manic, I woke at 6:30am to have my suit fitting finalised by a dressmaker that had agreed to come at 7am before the kids got up. After a rushed half hour I got the kids ready and headed off to school with them. Their school hours were filled by running back and forth to tonight's venue to ensure everything was as perfect as it could be. Alex called to wish me luck, telling me that she would call me when she left her signing unless it was after the beginning of the launch party. Just as I hung up the phone to Alex, my Mum began to call.

"Hi Mum." I puffed.
"Stressed?" Mum laughed.
"To the max. I'm getting to old for this!"
"Listen, Jacob's going to lift the kids from school to give you time to relax before the party."
"It's fine, I can lift them. Their clothes are here anyway."

Mum paused slightly before sighing herself.

"Alex has planned for them to do a little something tonight for you since she can't be there. Their outfits are here, she sent them a few days ago. It was supposed to be a surprise."
"Well if you don't tell me what they're doing then it still will be."

Fuck sake, Leah. Why did you ruin it? Mum agreed to not tell Alex that she had to tell me what was going on, I didn't want her to think the surprise had been ruined. How did she always know what I needed though? How did she know that I would be stressed trying to get the three of us ready? I always think I can't fall for her more than I already have and then it happens.

I spent the afternoon pampering myself, finally slipping into a hot bath with two hours left until my car would arrive. I couldn't stop thinking about the bath I had shared with Alex in the hotel, the night that she had made me believe in myself again. The night she had ensured I didn't see ugliness when I looked in the mirror anymore. I checked the time, 3.23pm, she wouldn't be at the signing yet.

Leah
I miss you.

Alex
I miss you more, Le. What you doing?

Leah
In the bath, it's boring without you though.

Alex
I would totally FaceTime you right now if Lydia wasn't sat beside me.

Leah
I would totally answer, too.

Alex
I can't wait to see you again. I miss you, and our baths.

Leah
Me too, Al. Me too.

Alex
I'm so proud of you, for everything. Make me proud tonight, and send me loads of pics!

Leah
Everything I do is to make you proud, Al❣️

I let my mind drift off for a while, mostly thinking about Alex. It was really hard to not want her beside me tonight, I didn't want to tell her that though; there are some things best left unsaid when it comes to couples that are separated by distance for work, sometimes a simple I miss you is enough to convey your wish that they were with you.

Just as I sprayed on the last of my perfume, there was a knock at the door. I knew it wasn't the car, they just waited outside for me, I wondered if it was my Mum, or maybe Jacob with the kids. I opened the door, my jaw dropping to the floor as I noticed the tall figure staring back at me.

"Ellie? Oh my god! What're you doing here?" I shouted, pulling her into a hug.
"Alex called, said she wasn't able to make it tonight, she said she wanted you to have someone to walk you from the car into the venue." She smiled.
"You travelled all this way for me?"
"Well, Alex actually sent me on a jet. It was part of our terms." She winked at me.
"She knows that's the bit I've been dreading the most."
"I know. She told me."