"That's amazing, Ry! Why don't you go wash up and help me with the pies?" she offered.

I nodded my head. "That sounds great."

It was nice to make my favorite hand pies from scratch with my favorite grandmother. I liked dancing around in the kitchen with her, filling the hand pies, and hearing all her crazy stories from when she was young. 

after everything, I really started to value the relationship with my family more but especially Abuelo and Abuela.

For the week leading up to prom, logan helped me get everything ready. We found the most perfect accessories, she practiced different hairstyles on me, and we went and got spray tans together even though she wasn't going to prom.

I went to watch her at her tennis matches and that girl was a beast on the court. After all the shit she had been through, she managed to be the state champion in singles. I knew my mom was proud that all those tennis lessons paid off. 

And I appreciated her being by my side for the day of prom prep.

We woke up early and we got manis and pedis, she watched me get my make up done, and we finally went back to our house to finish the last final details. 

For my hair, we decided to do a sleek low bun with wavy/curly-ish tendrils in the front. Logan was a woman of many talents. It looked like a professional did my hair. 

"I love it." I looked in the mirror. "How'd you get so good at this?

"When mom would be at work or something and I would have to do Dylan's hair for ballet." she chuckled. "Good skill to have."

My prom dress was already a statement piece, so I kept my jewelry lowkey. I wore my mom's gold Cartier love bracelet, simple diamond stud earrings, and my favorite gold ring that my grandma gave to me when I was sixteen. 

My dress was bright red with an oversized satin bow back halter strap detail. The skirt was a gently flared mermaid skirt. I loved that the back was slightly open. I paired it with simple nude heels.

 I paired it with simple nude heels

"Bitch, you look gorgeous!" Logan said as she walked back into my room

"Bitch, you look gorgeous!" Logan said as she walked back into my room. "This dress is so you."

I smiled and did a twirl. "Everything came together so nicely."

"Come downstairs so Abuelo and Abuela can see. I'll get your bag." she got my things for me.

"Oh my!" Abuela stood up from the couch. "You look like a real life princess. Doesn't she?"

Abuelo nodded. "And she looks just like her mother."

I liked hearing that. It was one of my favorite compliments. 

Before we headed to Brennan's house, we took so many pictures. Some of them with just myself, with Logan, Abuelo and Abuela, my cheeks were already tired from smiling. But when I got to Brennan's house there were so many pictures ahead of me.

Brennan blinked as he opened the door. "You look so beautiful."

"Thank you." I hugged him. "Who else is here?"

"Everyone except Mila and Caden." he responded. 

I watched as he spoke to my grandparents and sisters. Then I made eye contact with his mom.

Oh god.

This was the person that I dreaded seeing the most.

"Hi, Ryan." she spoke and pulled me into a hug. 

I awkwardly hugged her back. "HI, Mrs. Du Pont."

I looked at Brennan as I hugged his mom.

yeah.

This was something. 

"Ryan, you look gorgeous!" she complimented me. "Red is really your color. Don't you think Brennan?"

Brennan nodded. "She can pull off any color for sure."

I don't know if she was being civil since my grandparents were there or what, but I didn't really care. I just wanted to have a good night. 

We took so many pictures.

So many.

Solo shots, group shots, shots with our dates, silly shots, everything, but I didn't really mind. I wanted to remember this night.

The DuPonts catered food from this fancy steakhouse so we didn't have to worry about all twenty of us fitting into a restaurant. There was steak, lamp chops, lobster macaroni, mashed potatoes, truffle fries, and chocolate cake for dessert.

We ate outside on their patio where more TikToks were made, pictures were taken, and we had a lot of laughs.

"You did well on the corsage." I looked at my wrist

"Thank you. I wish I could take credit for it, but the design was all my mom's idea." he admitted. "Are you having fun?"

"Prom hasn't even started Brenny." I pointed out.

He nodded. "I know, I know, I just want you to have a goood night and to have fun. You deserve it."

"I will." I assured him.

We took a party bus to the dance that was just in our schools' gym. Everything looked as great as you could make a gym.

I was going to make the most of tonight regardless.

I got in the photo booth with my friends (and Brennan of course), we danced, and I actually had a lot of fun.

"Is this better than a New York prom?" he asked me as he slowed danced.

"I don't want to compare." I declined to answer. "But this is amazing and yes, I'm having fun."

He spun me around. "You look beautiful RuRu."

Ugh, that nickname.

"What do you think New York is going to be like?" I asked him. "Are you ready for the city?"

Brennan grinned. "You'll have to teach me to us the subway."

"I can do that." I agreed.

"And we have to stay in touch even if we don't work out romantically." 

"Of course."

He planted a kiss on my cheek. "Good."