Back to hockey

Charlie and Bombay had been away the whole day, so me, Adam and the rest of the team went to play schoolyard puck. Because I hadn't eat much in a long time, I didn't participate all the time. But it was nice to hold my stick again.

I was in a team with Julie, Averman, Luis, Kenny and Fulton. The other team was Adam, Guy, Dwayne, Russ, Conny and Goldberg. My team was losing but I didn't mind. I was so happy that I was with the team and playing hockey again.

After a while of playing, Charlie and Bombay showed up together. A smile on both faces but I saw that Charlie had cried. His eyes were a little red. I decided to ask later what happened. Charlie joined my team and Bombay the other team. With Charlie we scored more points. When Bombay scored a point, we all lifted him up and putted him in a trashcan.

When he got out of the trashcan, we packed our stuff and got into the bus. Adam was still on the varsity team so I had to say goodbye.

"Goodluck baby. Be careful please. If you don't feel well, say it and stop." Adam was worried about me.

I took his hand. "I will, I promise."

"Okay. I'll be in the stands. I love you." He let go of my hands and gave me a kiss.

"I love you too." I turned away and sat down in the bus.

Orion was counting us to make sure everyone was there. We were complete, even Charlie came to play again.

"I wanna be on the team coach. I want to play two way hockey. Can I come back?" He asked Orion.

Orion's smile grew. "Take a seat, we're running late. Let's go we got a game to catch."

Charlie walked over to me and sat down. The whole team cheered Charlie's name but not for long. Dean came in.

"I almost missed you. Coach, you mind if I have a few words with your boys?" He asked.

"And girls." Julie said with a serious look on her face.

"Of course, and girls." He pointed at Julie, Connie and me.

Orion sighed. "If you can make it quick, Dean. We're running late as it is."

Dean came in the bus. "I'm afraid this is important. We have a board meeting scheduled tomorrow, and well, you all are on the agenda." Charlie looked at me with a shocked face.

"We have to think long therm here. What's in your best interest. Hard as it is for me personally, because you kids have been a breath of fresh air around here, the board is going to approve the withdrawal of your scholarships. Now, you'll be welcome to stay through the end of the semester, but after that, it will be necessary for you to enjoy other educational opportunities."

This is unbelievable. They're throwing us out like we're some kind of dirt or shit or whatever!

Coach stood up. "Dean I need a word with you."

"I think I've said all I need to say." Dean answered.

"No, now!" Coach walked out and Dean followed.

"Other educational opportunities? What's he saying Russ?" Dwayne asked confused.

Russ looked at Dwayne. "I'll put it in terms you can understand. Adios, amigo."

Dwayne looked down with sad eyes. I rubbed my hand on his shoulder. "It's going to be okay." We all stood up and watched the conversation between Coach and Dean.

"So that's it? You're dumping them, just like that?" Coach was mad.

"Coach, I'm sorry. Your team isn't performing, and I've been under enormous pressure." Dean tried to explain.

Orion looked at him with a frown. "From who? The alumni group? A bunch of aging pep clobbers?"

"Ted, I'm trying to do you a favor. With those kids gone, you get to pick your own team. Let's face it, the ducks are drowning." Dean laid his hand on coach shoulder.

Coach pushed it off. "I got my team. Either they stay or I go." We all watched proudly at our coach.

"We'll miss you, Ted." Dean walked away. Coach looked at us with a 'I'm sorry' face.

"What the hell?! He can't do that right?" I got mad.

I saw Averman getting mad. "We're just pawns, puppets for the stage show, jesters to entertain the king, barnacles on the bottom of-"

"Shut up." Russ cut him off.

"Coach, is this legal?" Goldberg asked. "I mean, don't we have contracts or something?

"I don't know what it is. All I know is we're gonna fight it. No, let's go. We got a game to catch." Orion said before we all got back into the bus.

After the game I went with Adam to his place. I told him everything, about what Dean Buckley said. Adam looked so mad. We won the game, 5-4. I only played half of the game because I was still a little weak.

Ms. Banks made us diner. His parents had talked everything out and everything was good now.

"Do you want to sleep here tonight or are you going to Charlie and Casey?" Ms. Banks asked.

"Can I stay here? I think Bombay is at Charlie's so maybe it's better if they have some time together." I looked at Adam.

"Of course. I'm sure Adam doesn't mind." She winked at me. Adam and me laughed.

"I sure don't mind." He hugged me. We sat down and ate the food Ms. Banks made for us. It was delicious. She always cooked nice things.

After the diner, Adam, Guy, Connie and I went to get milkshakes.

"So, board meeting tomorrow?" Guy said. Someone had to say it.

Connie sighed. "Yes... At first I didn't want to be at that school but now I think I don't want to leave."

"Oh we're not leaving. I'm sure Bombay has something prepared for tomorrow. He's gonna save us." I took a sip from my vanilla milkshake.

The three of them nodded.

"Guys, I think I'm gonna ask if I can come back to the ducks. I hate the varsity. Only Scooter is nice to me so."

"Yes please come back to us. We all miss you." Guy said.

Adam smiled. "I'll talk to Orion about it. Kiara, wanna go home?" He grabbed my hand and looked at me.

"Yeah I'm pretty tired." I answered. We stood up and said goodbye to Guy and Connie.

On the way home, Adam and I talked a lot.

"Ki, I'm still worried about you. You're still to skinny and you have huge bags under your eyes."

He was right. I looked like I haven't slept in like 5 years.

"Yeah you're right. I don't know what to do. I still can't eat much because if I do, everything comes out again. And sleeping is still a little hard. I have all these nightmares and school and stress and stuff..." I teared up.

We stopped walking and Adam turned to look at me. "Maybe you should take a break from school and hockey. I know it's hard but you have to think about yourself first."

I know he was right but still, I was a little irritated. "I already missed a lot at school and practice. I can't miss more."

He sighed. "You're right but look at yourself. You're completely killing yourself. It looks like you're dying Ki."

I started to cry. "Don't say that. You can't say that."

He realized what he said. "You're right. You're right, I'm sorry." He pulled me into a tight hug. "Come on, we're going home.