Chapter 4

Content Warning: blood, needles, strong language

"The time is 7:30am. All personnel must report to their assignments in 30 minutes."

Nima groaned and rolled over in her cot, wishing she could pretend that the pre-recorded, feminine voice that was so annoying too early in the morning wasn't also a little seductive. She had only been at Eden a few days, but she was already regretting accepting their 'invitation.' It was clear now that their offer of safety was really just another way to die, but for their cause instead of her own. Nima wasn't going to stick around to find out.

"Nope. Come on. Get up, sleepy head." Orlo shook Nima aggressively.

"Why? It's not like I have anywhere to be," she whined.

"In fact, you do," Orlo sing-songed. "They've scheduled you for placement testing today."

"So they can sign me up to die? No thank you." Nima rolled out of Orlo's grip, so he threw his body on top of her.

"You're not going to die, Nima. Stop being so dramatic."

They both lurched as Nima let out a sudden sob into her pillow.

"My people did," Nima grunted angrily as she rolled Orlo off of her cot.

He gaped at her in surprise as tears started streaming down her face.

"They died in that tsunami, Orlo! They're gone!"

"Maybe they-"

"Don't say they made it out! There's no way they would've left without getting everyone else out, and there weren't enough planes and boats to evacuate everyone. This was always the plan, but I should've been there with them." Nima's words dissolved into sobs.

Orlo sat at the edge of the bed and engulfed her in a hug. "I'm sorry, Nima. It's easy to get desensitized to everything happening outside of these walls. I didn't mean to dismiss your grief. Would you like me to go get you some breakfast and bring it back here?"

Nima nodded as she sat up and attempted to control her sobs. Orlo rubbed her shoulder reassuringly with a sympathetic smile before leaving the bungalow. Nima hadn't noticed the other occupants preparing for their morning until then and she quickly turned towards the wall to hide her blotchy face.

By the time Orlo returned with two bowls of soggy oats that steamed in the wet, chill morning, Nima had dressed and splashed cool water on her face to hide her outburst.

"Listen, Nima, I know you're not-"

"I'm fine," she snapped before he could finish his sentence.

"Okay, well, eat up then. You have to show up for the testing, or there will be hell to pay, and not just for you." Orlo handed Nima one of the bowls of oats and she took it with an attempt at a smile.

When they had finished breakfast, Orlo walked with Nima to the main path that would take her to Eden's main compound. Nima radiated 'fuck off' energy that told Orlo to keep his mouth shut, so he did. He left her at the path with a reassuring pat on her back and an awkward smile.

Nima didn't recognize the people who had come to meet her. Then again, she had only met two people from the inner compound and she didn't even remember their names.

"I am Rotar Nyan, he/him," the tall, surly man introduced himself.

The person next to him stood to attention like they were speaking to a military officer. "Rotar Embaria, she/they."

Rotar Nyan grimaced at their formality, but quickly glossed over it. "We Rotar are the sentinels of the inner compound. We ensure the safety and wellbeing of its residents. Today we will escort you to placement testing. We ask that you do not interrupt facility residents while we make our way to the labs."