#38: YOU GIVE LOVE A BAD NAME

Depuis le début

"I can't go."

"What do you mean you can't go?"

I leaned against the locker beside Manny's as she put away some books before heading to lunch. She looked utterly offended by the conversation as she shut the locker door.

"I got in late, and now I'm grounded this weekend. Thus, I can't go." I wasn't about to elaborate, as the whole thing was confusing enough. I nudged Manny's arm lightly as we walked. "How goes the Emma front?"

"Speaking terms have been reached, but even if we were friends like before, she's too busy with family — the baby, and now Mr. Simpson..." She trailed off like she said something she shouldn't have. "You know about that, right?"

I nodded quietly. "...The birthday bash could still be a good time. Maybe you'll meet someone new. Someone better than Sully."

Manny's eyes were distant until they glazed over and the ghost of a smile appeared on her face. "Did you hear Craig's song?"

"The one for Ashley?" I said like the qualifier needed to be added. My voice was a little louder than before, and a bit strained. "Yep. Heard the whole thing."

She didn't have to know when I heard it.

"Now why can't I meet a guy who'd do that for me?"

"Serenading is completely overrated. So, a guy sings you a song. Big deal. Not like it means anything. My mom's been serenaded at least five times, and look at how great her love life is."

Manny briefly contemplated this before delivering a rebuttal. "But still...How deep and intense would someone's feelings have to be if they're totally willing to do that? Even if they embarrass themselves or get rejected?"

I kept my gaze forward. "Well, when you put it that way, it's almost romantic or something."

We were almost to the caf when I caught Manny's elbow.

"Hey, I'm not super hungry right now. Meet you outside at the picnic tables?"

She nodded, and I was left alone with far too much time to think.

 "Talk me out of doing something stupid

"Talk me out of doing something stupid."

The day was ending, and Liberty jumped as she closed her locker. When she whirled around and saw me, there was immediate exasperation. "...Why?"

I didn't want to say my family could guilt trip me better than any of my friends ever could, but I couldn't actually think of anything else. "Reasons. Now, please, please, I'm begging you, tell me not to do the stupid thing."

"Um...don't do the stupid thing?" She slung both straps of her backpack over each shoulder, and I followed her to the front entrance of the school.

I chewed on my lip. "But what if the stupid thing isn't so stupid? I mean, yes, logically very stupid. Extremely stupid. But emotionally, maybe even existentially—"