#38: YOU GIVE LOVE A BAD NAME

A/N: Moving is hard. But I'm back!

 But I'm back!

 I left before Craig woke up, mostly because I was not prepared for us to be conscious and aware of last night and in the same room

I left before Craig woke up, mostly because I was not prepared for us to be conscious and aware of last night and in the same room. After spending weeks with my own thoughts, and months effectively separated from someone I grew extremely attached to the year prior, I didn't know what to make of this. I didn't know what this made me, or — an even scarier prospect — what this made us.

And my mom totally busted me.

When I walked in, expecting her to already be at work and not totally thinking about the repercussions of my decisions, she stood up suddenly and practically ran me over with a hug. Then, she yelled at me for five minutes, let me get ready for school, and yelled at me again when she decided she wasn't done.

If I was a textbook Capricorn, she was the absolute poster child for Taurus. And I spent too much time rereading that chart breakdown Terri made for me. Thirteen years later, I still don't know what a Chiron or a Lilith is, but they're both dumb and I hate them.

When my mom noticed one of my tics, my nails scrapping at my jeans, she awkwardly stopped. Five minutes later, she was rushing out the door, fully aware of how late she was but also cognizant of her worth and her job's utter dependence on her in a way she never exuded in her relationships.

About a half hour later, I was about to leave, when the phone rang and it was my mother again letting me know she was grounding me for a week. Straight home everyday, no detours, and she would call to make sure.

She baffled me everyday. Damn, did I ever need a cellphone.

When I did see Craig that morning in the halls, it was not how I imagined. I didn't know what I thought would happen, but he seemed pensive the moment we made eye contact, and I suddenly felt exposed, like he saw a part of me I didn't let anyone see. The memory of all the things I said when I was dead tired enveloped me in an inescapable embarrassment that kind of reminded me of the maze in The Shining.

I gave him a nervous smile.

He approached like he was on a mission, and I remembered he was. The song.