#28: DRESSED IN BLACK (2x18)

A/N: We're rapidly approaching season 3,
and holy shit it's THE DRAMA. I'm so excited.
Anyhoo, here's another two-parter.

 I think it'd be easy to say I hated Spinner Mason after everything that happened last year, and maybe on some level I did, but I mostly saw Spinner exactly as he saw me before that whole  year — a weird little speck of dirt on my shoe

I think it'd be easy to say I hated Spinner Mason after everything that happened last year, and maybe on some level I did, but I mostly saw Spinner exactly as he saw me before that whole year — a weird little speck of dirt on my shoe. Or that's what I told myself.

But change was a big theme for me in the past year, even in the areas of my life I least expected.

April came and went, with things getting back to base for the most part — or what was now considered base, which was mostly straddling the knife's edge between being a preteen and a teenager. Maybe most of my decisions in grade nine were still that of a child desperately clinging to whatever innocence I had left. Sure, it wasn't much, but it was mine.

The day started like any other. I met up with Ellie where our two paths to school intersected and caught sight of JT a bit too giddy for me to ignore. Like usual, I told El I'd meet her in homeroom — as she had important Grapevine business to attend to — and meandered over to JT.

"—not to mention condoms!" he said to Toby, who seemed supremely uncomfortable.

I stopped in my tracks and seriously considered turning back. Instead, I grimaced and approached with caution. "Condoms? In relation to you two dweebs? Gross."

"Audrey, this is a private conversation," JT said, trying to wave me aside.

I snorted. "Not with how loud you talk. And everyone knows it's sex talk day for grade eights."

"Eugh! Never say that word again!"

"What? Sex?" I said it louder. "Would you prefer I don't talk to you about sex?"

He shuddered and mimed gagging.

"JT! I need an answer! Would you like me to stop talking about sex?!"

His narrowed stare on me shifted to over my shoulder, and his disgust faded into a smug grin.

I opened my mouth to continue my tirade but something about his expression made me consider what exactly was over my shoulder — or who. My face was already warming up. "Craig's right behind me, isn't he?"