8. Cooking for Jack

„Zero where are the materials to clean with?"

The ghost dog led me to the nearest closet. I opened it and moved aside quickly, a huge amount of books, clothes and other stuff fell out, nearly burying me underneath it. I face the dog in disbelief, "How long does he live alone?" Zero shrugged.

It took me hours to get his stuff sorted until I could concentrate on the dust everywhere. I took a piece of cloths and covered my mouth and nose, as I twirled it around. Another few hours passed, till I could restore his stuff back into the shelves and closet. I washed his clothes in a bucket with a rippled dead tortoise as the wash board. His books were dusted off and returned to the shelves. And the rest of his stuff stored into boxes. One last thing to do...was cooking.

I have no idea what he expects or what he could even eat, since he is a skeleton. I checked out the kitchen, only to scream in horror. I was worse than the room I had just cleaned. It was stinky and vile, I had trouble not to vomit. Once his fridge was open I closed it twice as fast. It smelled like someone has died in there, but from what I could see...he had nothing I could cook. I sighted loud, "He expects me to cook for him with supplies he doesn't have."

Suddenly...I had an idea, "Zero!"

The dog came through the wall and barked with joy. "Do you know where Jack has his money?" Zero flew a looping before disappearing for a minute. He came back with a small bag, filled with tiny silver pumpkin heads. "So this is money?" The ghost barked.

"Oh boy!"

I got to the town centre and asked one of the witches of where to get food supplies. She told me about the small shop near the graveyard and the stands, which will open any minute. I lost my appetite as I watched what they had to offer at the stands. A big lady at the stand stopped me, "Hello dolly would you like some of my fresh bats?" "No thank you, I am looking for something a skeleton would like." "Skeleton? You mean Jack right?" I nodded. "Well how about..."Shepherd's pie?"

Wow, they now that?

"Sounds good! Where can I get the stuff?" I lost all hope as she rambled on. "Well for the shepherd's meat you can ask the werewolf over there, for the sauce you find brown sewer water from the fountain and the mashed maggots...you can get them here by me."

"I think I try something else like...toad in the hole."

I shouldn't have said that, as she began, "You find the best toads by the man over there....."

I felt sick...isn't there anything normal to eat??????

For Jack's wish, I had to ignore the smell and the look of things and ordered some bats, mashed maggots, several insects and blood. I was just about to head home, as the major appeared before me, "Good afternoon Dolly, how are you?" I smiled weakly, "I am good, thank you."

"Jack is a lucky skeleton, having you to take care of him. I am sure you will make him happy!"

I have no idea of what to think of his remark, but I haven't got time for it anyway. I had to take care of his dinner. But his kitchen was not the appropriate place to cook...so where can I go? I only know one place I could do it, but no one seems to be in today. Anyhow I wouldn't know if what to say to the Doc and Sally didn't show herself either.

I asked the major, who was more than happy to offer me the kitchen, at least his was a lot more cleaner. I began to rip the bats apart, getting the few pieces of meat out. Next I made a red sauce of blood and red insects, followed by the bats meat. The brighter insects were crushed till they left a white liquid behind. The mashed maggots were pressed together till they were flat. Inside a pumpkin, I filled it with the ingredients, one layer after another, before baking it inside the oven. I jumped, as a creature inside spat fire.

Can they at least use a normal oven???

Once done, I thanked the major and ran back to Jack's place. Thankfully he wasn't back jet. I set the pumpkin onto the table and decorated it with one plate and cutlery. My stomach couldn't handle what I just cooked.

"Mmmm...this smells nice!"

His voice made me jump as I screamed loud.

"Sorry I didn't mean to scare you, but the smell was so nice I couldn't resist saying it."

Before I could offer him the seat, he took it immediately, holding knife and fork in his hand, waiting for me to serve my creation. I didn't feel well about it, since I didn't dare to taste it. My stomach cramped, as he took the first piece. Suddenly...he stopped. His eyes widened and faced into my direction. In an instant, he got off his chair smiling wide at me, "Wow I never ate something so good, that is it called?!"

"Ehhh...La...bat...sagne?"

"Labatsagne...sounds French", he said, taking another bite.

"Oui" I joked, not spoiling his good mood, although I couldn't watch him eat it anymore and went to bed early.

Let's hope I don't have to cook for him again!