I don't bother responding. I hear her wander down the stairs and some clanking in the kitchen. I sit and strain my ears to hear when she leaves and before long the front door opens and closes. I breathe out a sigh of relief that she's gone, until I hear my name being called. 

And not just my name, but Harlow's voice. 

I shoot out of bed again and hurry towards the door. I open it so fast I worry I'll pull it off the hinges. I dash into the hallway and look over the banister. Sure enough, there stands my girl. Here, in our home, in the flesh. I think I'm dreaming, so I blink a few times, but there she is. 

"Harlow?" I ask her name, just to be sure it's really her and I'm not just hallucinating. 

She looks up and sees me. But instead of smiling, all of the blood drains from her face. She looks between Kristin, who is wearing my sweatshirt, and me, who is only in my underwear. 

"Oh, shit." I murmur to myself, becoming painfully aware of what this must look like to Harlow. 

"I am such a fucking idiot." she mutters bitterly before she turns and walks towards the door. 

"No! Harlow, no!" I yell after her. Either she can't hear me or she's ignoring me because the door closes behind her with a sickening snap of finality. 

"Fuck!" I scream, dashing back into my room. I grab whatever clothes I can find and my phone off the dresser before rushing back down the stairs. It had to have been less than a minute since Harlow left. Kristin is still standing in the hallway, so I grab her purse from the table in the foyer and push it into her arms, grabbing her by the elbow and leading her out of the house with me. 

"Don't come back." I say to her firmly as I rush towards the garage. I see Harlow speedng down and out the gate, her tires kicking up dirt and snow as she goes dangerously fast. My heart sinks further and I hurry towards my car, barely letting the engine turn over before I force it into gear and press down hard on the gas. 

Luckily this far out of town, I can see her car as she heads away from me. I follow her as she heads back towards town. As soon as my phone syncs up, I hit the call button to dial her number. Her name pops up on my screen just as I come up behind her. I can see through the windshield my number pop up on her display. Her eyes flick to mine in the rearview mirror. Even from here I can see they're red and filled with tears. 

But it's the anger in them that really scares me. 

She hits the ignore button and pushes down harder on the gas, but her car is older and slower than mine. I can keep up with her easily. I hit call again and again, but every time she ignores me. I start to get frustrated. I need her to listen. She just needs to let me explain. 

We do this for ten or fifteen minutes, barreling down the road, but I'm not about to give up. I hit call again and this time she answers. 

"Stop following me!" she yells into the phone. It's so loud it almost hurts my ears, but the sound of her voice, even her angry voice, is too beautiful for me to care. 

"Then stop driving and let me explain." I say back. She lets out a humorless laugh. 

"Explain what? How it took you all of a week to move on?" she asks, pain lacing her livid tone. 

"Sweetheart, no. I didn't sleep with her. I would never do that!" I practically shout.

"That's what they all say, Pierce!" she shoots back. I growl in frustration, tightening my hold on the steering wheel.

"I swear, Harlow. I didn't touch her. I don't want her. You are the only one I want." I say back, pushing as much honesty into my tone as I can. 

"Well, I don't want you. You promised me, Pierce. You told me if I didn't love you that you'd let me go. So you need to do it." she shoots back. 

"That's not how this works, love. You came back. You do love me. Now you're stuck with me forever. I'll never be able to give you up. I can't. You came back to me. You're mine now." I say firmly. 

"No. I'm not." she says sadly and my heart starts breaking all over again. 

"I swear, Harlow. I swear I didn't have sex with her. I have been locked in my room for a week. I didn't come out until I heard your voice. I swear, sweetheart. I swear. I would never do-" 

I'm cut off when I hit a patch of ice. I feel my tires lose their traction and I start to spin. I try to turn the wheel, to even myself out, but I can't find any purchase. I start to panic and slam on the brake but that only makes it worse. I spin again, but come to an abrupt stop. I hear the sickening sound of metal crunching, my head bouncing back painfully as the airbag deploys. My whole body jolts at the sudden impact, my mind going hazy and my body numb.

"Pierce!" I hear Harlow cry over the speaker of my car. 

"Harlow?" I ask weakly, reaching for something but my vision is shaky. 

"Pierce!" I hear my name again, but it sounds closer this time. "Oh my God are you okay?" she asks. 

I try to look at her, but my neck hurts. 

"I'm fine." I murmur, reaching for her again. I feel her hand in mine, her warm skin pressed against mine and all feels right in the world. 

"This car probably cost you a fortune but it didn't come with snow tires?" she asks bitterly. "I'm calling an ambulance just sit still. Don't move." she says. I grip her hand tighter as she talks on the phone. I can't make out what she's saying so I stay quiet. 

"Pierce! Pierce, open your eyes." she says frantically. I open my eyes, not even realizing I had closed them. 

"I didn't do it, love. I swear. I didn't. She spilled chicken juice. That's why she was wearing my clothes. I swear I didn't touch her. I'd wait for you forever." I murmur, trying to stay awake. 

"Okay, baby. Just stay with me, please. Please don't leave me." she says, her voice breaking as she begs me not to die. 

"I promise, sweetheart. I'm not leaving." I say as the edges of my vision start to fade to black. "Do you really believe me?" I ask hopefully. 

"You really didn't sleep with her?" she asks timidly. 

"No. I swear." I say firmly. 

"I believe you." she says, her voice trembling with emotion. I try to look at her again, but she holds me firm. "You need to stay still, baby. Don't worry. You're gonna be fine. I'm going to take care of you. I promise." 

That's the last thing I hear before I slip into darkness.