fifteen

-Athena-

-Few Hours Later-

The machine wasn't exactly what I expected.

Instead of titanium, it was a large empty glass box. The room was cold and dusty, an evident sign that nothing had been touched, or used in years.

"I thought you said this place was too damage to even set foot in here?" Josie said, as I ran my fingers against the glass slowly. I looked around at the walls around me and noticed the small ridges and bumps in the walls, whereas the rest of the mansion was in near rubble, except for the large basement. It was clear to see how much destruction Niall did to the place.

"This room is made of the strongest metal in the world. Unfortunately, the metal wasn't as tough as my great-granddad expected it would be. I'm just grateful this room is decent." Liam explained, walking up the large staircase to a control panel at the top. He ran his fingers against the metal machine and sighed, looking at me and Josie with worry. "I'm going to be completely honest with you, I have no idea if this machine even works anymore."

"It's worth a shot." I replied, as I walked up to Liam and stood beside him. "What do I need to do?"

"Athena, maybe Louis was right," Josie spoke up, joining my side. I looked at her sternly, my arms folded across my chest. "Maybe you shouldn't be doing this. I just have a really bad feeling-"

"I'm doing this, Josie." I snapped. "I am doing this and no one is going to stop me." I turned and looked at Liam, my eyes looking directly into his. "What do I need to do, Liam?"

He looked at Josie and sighed deeply, before pointing down at a white chair and walking towards it. "I need to inject a serum into your system that not only puts you in an induced coma, but also allows your bones to shape and form claws." He tells me softly, before instructing Josie to retrieve the serum from the cabinet nearby.

"What happens from there?" I asked, as I sat in the white chair. Josie slowly walked towards us once more, a glass test tube in her hands. The serum was crimson red in color, almost identical to the color of blood.

I'm not going to lie, I was starting to get nervous.

"Once you're asleep, we are going to have to strip you down to at least your bra and knickers. From there, you'll be placed into the bath over there," He begins, pointing at the glass box I saw earlier. "You'll be hooked up to wires, too."

"Will this affect her pregnancy?" Josie asked, looking at Liam worriedly. He shrugged his shoulders, grabbing a needle from the counter beside him and examined the objects in his hands. "Athena.. Please reconsider." She said softly, her eyes scanning my face. "You're probably almost two months pregnant, meaning the baby is still an embryo. Either way, you still have a human forming inside of you that you need to worry about. Please think about this."

I looked at my sister and friend and realized that maybe I shouldn't do this. Maybe this was a terrible idea. I placed a hand on my stomach, thinking about what Josie had said. The baby was so much more important than claws. But there's a possibility the baby won't be affected.

And for some odd reason, as much as I shouldn't taking the risk, I'm going to.

"We have to try." I mumbled, before looking at Liam and nodding. "Let's get this over with."

Liam nodded slowly, looking at Josie, before gently grabbing my arm and flipping it up. I watched Liam inject serum into the needle, which only made my heart rate increase. I hated needles, I honestly was scared.

Right before I felt the needle pierce my skin, I looked up towards the entrance of the room, the sound of rapid footsteps and the door bursting open and my husband appearing at the top of the metal staircase. "Athena!"