College Boy

>Donte<

"Enlisted Corporal Carter!" 

"Yes Sir?" I stop my walk across the field turning in attention waiting for the Colonel to reach me.  

"Great job out there in training today." 

"Thank you Sir." 

"How are your classes coming heard from your instructor you were having a little trouble with the Latin language?" 

"Thank you for asking Sir, and I've gotten the hang of it some. I'm looking forward to ending the course though."  

"Oh I know! Keep up the great work and you will be an officer in no time. One more year! " 

The Colonel gives me a quick pat on the back before continuing on his trek across the field. I continue to stand in attention waiting until he is well passed me to sprint over to my barracks.  

"Yo, the fucking Colonel just stopped me outside!" 

"Shut the fuck up son!" Jackson calls out. 

"Right I was like what the fuck he wanted asking a nigga about they school work and shit.  

"Damn that's what's up. You'll have a commission in no time." 

"First I got to pass this damn class and then one more year and I'll be in that bitch. I'm going call my people give me a shot out before you head to the mess hall.  

"Alright, I was planning on catching a few Z's right quick."  

"Cool." I grab the phone off the side table and lay back on my bed dialing one of the few numbers I actually know by heart or have to reason to fucking call. He picks up on the third ring.  

"Only one motherfucker would be calling me from this crazy ass number." 

"What's up bro.?" 

"Nothing much hoping you calling to say that your ass will be on the next plane coming to the N.O. I mean its Mardi Gras there are beads to be caught and ass to be smashing." 

"I wish but I'm going to have to take a rain check- 

"What the fuck you mean a rain check you told me you had the ok to come home." 

"I did...I mean I do but fuck this class is whipping my ass son and I need to focus on that if I want to pass this semester." 

"Fucking college boy and shit. Well alright I get it but moms ain't gone be happy and you know Chris was looking forward to seeing you wanted you to make it to his game before school let out and shit." 

"Fuck I forgot about that shit! Tell him I'll send him something from Japan or something a new phone or game or something." 

"Iight, nigga haven't seen you in a fucking year and you blowing a nigga off for school I could see if it was a bitch or something." 

"Cee now you know I wouldn't blow you off for no female." Sometimes you just have to laugh at this nigga. "None could ever be more important than my nephew and moms." 

"Yeah I hear you but let this have been a certain- 

"Don't go there!" I know he wasn't about to mention her! "You know I can't deal son. That shit still raw for me don't go there." 

"Iight I got you but just saying you'll blow a nigga off for her." 

"Fucking right." 

"Right."  

I still can't deal with the thought of her out there somewhere...has she moved on...is she with someone else? Does she have kids now or does she ever think of me?  

A silence falls over the phone with me lost in my thoughts and Cee doing who knows what the fuck.  

"Aye Donte son my bad stop thinking about that shit I'll talk to you next time you call and you know I got you when you do come home. Nigga proud of you do your thing I ain't mad son, just miss you dawg." 

"I know miss ya'll to but I'll definitely make it home before going overseas. That's too long to go without seeing ya'll tell moms I love her and will give her a call later in the week and tell Chris to send me some of his football footage. Might be able to hook him up with a nice summer program they have up state. Get his ass off them streets this summer." 

"Will do son. Be safe my nigga." 

"Same to you...save a nigga a coconut of something. Some of these niggas never saw a Zulu coconut!" 

"Iight. Peace." 

"Iight." 

just a little peak into what has been going on with Donte, I know a lot of you were wondering what was going on in his life!