Reevaluating everything

As an earth-worker, my hands were often drowned in the wet soil.

Crawling deep inside the damp mud from the freshly watered earth, I was instantly immersed in the lives of the organisms beneath my feet and was surrounded by the friendly odors of nature.

I knew it would find me one way or another, its slippery carcass would have sensed my movements hundreds of miles away and gladly fallen into my trap.

The worm would shriek and hiss, fooling someone less experienced that it was a reptile but even as dangerous as it was, it was merely a giant parasite.

Easy to confine in a bucket of ice-cold water and watch it peacefully perish.

What they should really worry about, is the vegetable octopus using the starving parasite as bait to lure in its booty.

Food always tastes better when it is not ours.

Soon enough the plant beside me shifted unnaturally, and I smirked.

Plunging my path into the ground again, I shoot my palm in the air, mentioning to my worried witness to stay put.

Finding its tentacle roots, I sign to the kid to search for another one on my left. Clamping both of my hands around one, I peer over at the child, who signaled, with a firm nod that, he was ready.

Keeping eye contact, I began to  count with the motion of my lips... " 1... 2... 3 "

We froze, going as far as to stop breathing. we stared at each in the white of our orifices temporarily disappearing from its radar and that's when the predator understood that it became prey.

In sheer panic, the underground camouflager loses its clever disguise and crawled out of the hole it dug itself in. It screeches, disorderly, as we regain our breathing.

Wasting no time, Miliones was quick to throw me the rope rolled around his shoulder for us the attach it before it retrieves to the dirt.

Roped like an obese pig, we pulled as hard as we could to prevent its escape. Trashing around, it screams bloody murder and pleads for its nourishing existence.

This one will sell like paper.

Making sure it wasn't moving anymore, we threw it in a preservative box before even checking if it was really dead.

Sitting our bottoms on the opening of the container, we grabbed into the corners to restain the aghast thing who thought it could fool us by playing dead.

" Thank you for the help. " The boy signed to me, eternally wearing this childish happiness stretched across the corners of his lips.

I nodded tiredly.

Collapsing on a posing rock, I watch the youth dragging both the cage and the box to the picking place.

Ah, It's good to be young.

The commotion of my Contacter cut me off in my trance, swiping the calling square up, I took the call.

" Hi, Holy. " Yes, it was my dear brother who called me.

" Good morning, Salt! Slept well? " I smiled, this idiot was calling me during his lunch break.

" Yeah and you? Did you have time to sleep, brother? " He grunted, and I grinned.

" Ha ha ha, very funny you little shit. So, how is the family? Am I still the favorite? " Recalling the event with Ille, yesterday, I groaned.

" Yes, and they're great. " I lower down to a much more serious tone, waving the Miliones goodbye. " Actually, we received a call, yesterday from the center saying that we need to reduce our visit to one family member per week. "