The smell of delicious baking pumpkins wafted through the corridors on Halloween morning as the Slytherins made their way to charms where Professor Flitwick had announced that he thought they were ready to start making objects fly, something they had all been dying to try since he made Pansy's purse fly around the classroom.

The class was split into pairs and Delilah was lucky enough to be paired with Daphne while Pansy was stuck with Blaise, one of the few Slytherin's Delilah disliked but Pansy had a crush on.

"Now, don't forget that nice wrist movement we've been practicing!" squeaked Professor Flitwick, perched on top of his pile of books as usual. "Swish and flick, remember, swish and flick. And saying the magic words properly is very important, too — never forget Wizard Baruffio, who said 'f' instead of 's' and found himself on the floor with a buffalo on his chest."

It was difficult but Delilah got it on her third try. Daphne got it on her fourth when Delilah corrected her pronunciation. Professor Flitwick awarded them both with 5 house points each.

At the end of the day Delilah asked Daphne to take her stuff with her to the common room while she quickly went to the bathroom. She agreed.

Delilah entered the bathroom and heard crying in an open stall. She looked inside and saw Hermione Granger, a Gryffindor girl who was the top of the year.

"Are you okay?" Delilah asked, putting her hand on Hermione's back.

"Just go away," Hermione sobbed.

"What's wrong?" Delilah pressed.

"Ronald Weasley is a prat and I'm friendless," whispered Hermione.

"Well now you've made one more friend. And I know that Weasley is a prick, but what did he do?"

"He called me friendless and made fun of me."

Delilah's eyes narrowed. She didn't know Hermione very well but from Potions class she did know that she was brilliant.

"Well he's just a jealous prick that doesn't know what he's talking about."

Hermione stopped crying.

"Do you think so?"

"I know so, now let's go to the feast, we should at least make dessert."

Hermione nodded and saw her and looked shocked.
"You're a Slytherin."

"And you're a Gryffindor. Shall we head to the feast?"

Hermione nodded and they went to walk out the door when a troll of all things blocked their way.

Delilah felt for her wand and thanked the stars that she hadn't put it in her bag. She pulled it out. Hermione stood frozen to the spot. Delilah had to push her out of the way when the troll swung its club at them.

"Snap out of it!" Delilah yelled.

The troll started to advance on them but just in time the door opened and Delilah hoped for a teacher but no, it was just Harry and that Weasley.

Harry's eyes widened when he saw her. Obviously he hadn't noticed that she wasn't at the feast, such a great brother she had, truly.

"Confuse it!" Harry yelled desperately, grabbed a tap, and threw it against the wall.

He was such an idiot, why not try using his wand?

The troll stopped advancing on them. It lumbered around, blinking stupidly, to see what had made the noise. Its mean little eyes saw Harry. It hesitated, then made for him instead, lifting its club as it went.