32

Bradley sat next to Tate smiling as she had now woken up and was sitting upright, talking to her best friend. She was in a tremendous amount of pain, but she didn't care.

Tate was happy that she was looking at her best friend. She could tell that he had been crying, his messy hair and puffy eyes made it obvious.

"You're never going to believe who your nurse is," Bradley says as he lets go of Tate's hand.

Before she can say anything, Lucia walks in with a huge smile on her face.

"Lieutenant Kazansky! Glad to see you bright-eyed and bushy-tailed," her Italian accent rings through the room.

Bradley looks over at Tate who has her mouth wide open in shock.

He laughs at the look on her face. Lucia smiles at her patient.

"Y-you're... oh my... y-you,"

Tate was too stunned to say anything to the woman. She couldn't even make a coherent sentence.

Lucia walks over to the side of Tate's bed and looks at the monitors, taking notes on what she sees.

"Razor? Yeah, shocked your friend over here too," She teases as she looks at the woman.

"You're a legend!"

"So I have been told," Lucia smiles

She never thought that her time as a pilot would ever give her this recognition.

"My name is right under yours on the plaque!" Tate says as her gaze follows the woman to the other side of her bed.

"Oh is that right? Looks like your some kind of legend yourself," Lucia says smiling up at Tate as she checks her heartbeat.

Tate felt as if she was in the presence of a celebrity.

"Oh thank god she's awake," Sara says as she enters Tate's room.

Both Tom and Sara let out sighs of relief at the sight of their daughter.

"I brought you some watermelon," Sara says walking up to her daughter and handing it to her.

Tate grabs a piece and looks over at Bradley. She hands him the container, offering him a piece.

He shakes his head at her and she looks at him shocked.

"Gasp. Mr. Steal My Watermelon doesn't want any!?"

Bradley chuckles at his friend's words. "You nearly died, it would be wrong of me to take your precious watermelon,"

Lucia finishes up her notes and looks at the family.

"Okay, everything is stable, I'm going to alert her doctor, and we will send her for a few tests before she's discharged,"

The family thanks her and she exits, waving at the family.

"Do you know that she's married?" Bradley asks Tate. She scoffs looking at her friend

"Tried hitting on her and she shot you down?" Tate teases.

"Tate, how do you feel?" Their mother interrupts. Tate fixes her gaze on her parents and smiles.

"Well, my arm feels like it's on fire and I have a headache. Other than that, I'm alive,"

Sara smacks her lips and sits on the edge of Tate's bed.

"Don't joke like that, you nearly jet-washed,"

Tate's body tensed at her mother's words. She didn't exactly replay the moments that landed her here.