Chapter 18

"Anna," a voice woke me.
"No," I groaned.
"Anna," it said again.
"Not yet," I grumbled.
"Anna, it's 11 in the afternoon."
I jumped up. "What?" I yelled.
"It's 11."
"Oh my God, I've got to get to work!"
"Anna-" Calli began.
"I don't have time to talk right now. I've got to go!"
"Anna-"
"How did I sleep in so late? Why didn't my alarm go off?"
"Anna!" Calli yelled.
I jumped.
"It's Saturday," she said.
I stared at her for a minute before bursting into giggles. "Oh my gosh! That's why my alarm didn't go off."
"You're such a spaz," she grumbled, walking out of my room. "Hey, by the way, we're leaving at 7."
"For?"
"You, me, Morgan. Club."
"Yes ma'am," I laughed. I flopped back onto my bed and reached for my laptop on my desk. I laid it out in front of me and pulled up the internet. The first thing that popped up caught me by surprise. It was a picture of Kane. You could tell he was sloppy drunk and Tracy was holding him up.
"Calli!" I yelled. She walked into my room and I turned my laptop toward her. She sat on the edge of my bed and looked.
"Wow," she groaned. "Great publicity for my bloodline. What does it say?"
I skimmed over the article. "Mostly talks about Kane's recent outings. Always drunk, it says. But-" I stopped.
"What?"
"It says 'While the one Carter brother has become quite a partier, the other has become a recluse. Austin Carter has not been seen outside of his home in weeks.' Wow."
"That's crazy," Calli said.
"Working from home I guess. Or maybe he's a closet drunk."
Calli shook her head. "Maybe you should go talk to them Anna."
"I don't want to see Kane after yesterday. He gives me whiplash."
Calli's eyes were scanning the computer screen. "You're in luck my friend."
"How is that?" I asked.
"Kane stays at an apartment above the bar. He was seen going in at 3 am this morning."
"So," I drawled.
"So, Austin is at the house alone."
"Oh." I said.
"Anna, go. You need to talk to him. At least get him out of his hole he is in. He's not being hot and cold like Kane. He just wants you happy."
"What am I supposed to say Cal?"
"Tell him how you feel."
"That's the issue. I don't want to hurt either of them but I can't do the sharing thing."
"Then what do you want? Kane or Austin?"
"I can't make myself answer that," I sighed.
"Why?"
"Because if I say it out loud, then it is true and I'll end up hurting one of them. Maybe even both. I mean, what if it causes issues between them as brothers? Or issues with you as their sister?"
"Anna, I can handle my own. You know that. I know you're worried about hurting them but what good is it for you to be hurting. I'm worried about you. Kane is a big boy. He's been going out every night, maybe you choosing will make him snap out of it."
"Or it may make him worse."
"Anna, do what you want. Do what makes you happy. Stop worrying about everyone else."
"I guess you're right."
"I am. Now, get out of bed. Take a shower, brush your stinky teeth, and go."
I laughed and jumped out of bed, while blowing hot hair right in her face at the same time.
"Ew, you're disgusting!" She yelled.
I laughed.
"By the way," she said. "Whoever you go to first, that's who you want. I know you. You always do what you want first before you do what you dread."
I nodded.
I let the water get hot as I stared at myself in the mirror.
I know who I want. I'm scared to say it out loud but I know.
And Calli was right, he is who I'm going to first.