Chapter 13

We were in my car, heading to the church. The radio was playing quietly. Austin hadn't spoken since we got into the car.
"It's kinda weird, going to my ex-boyfriends wedding."
"Yeah, I know."
"Why aren't you saying much?"
He shrugged. "I figure that you're on edge so I don't want to say the wrong thing."
I laughed. "Austin, you won't."
He nodded, expressionless. I leaned over the console and kissed him on the cheek. "I promise."
He finally smiled and grabbed my hand, interlocking our fingers.
We pulled up to the church and made our way inside. "I'm only staying for the wedding itself not the reception."
"Okay," he said.
That's when I saw her. Charlotte was sitting in the front row. She had always been a plump woman, now I hardly recognized her. Her bones protruding out in every direction. All skin and bone, that's all there was.
I walked until I stood in front of her and I squatted down to her eye level.
"Hey Charlotte," I smiled. Her face lit up but her eyes remained a dull, cloudy brown.
"Anna," her voice was very hoarse. "You came."
"Only for you," I smiled.
"Here, sit next to me."
I sat down and pulled Austin down beside me.
"Who is this handsome fella?" She said weakly.
"This is Austin, my uh-" I looked at him.
"Her boyfriend ma'am," he grabbed her hand and kissed the top of it. "Nice to meet you."
She grinned and winked. "The pleasure is mine." I laughed.
"Austin?" I heard a woman's voice call from behind us.
"Austin Carter?"
We both turned. There stood a strikingly beautiful woman with thick brunette hair and bright blue eyes. She had very prominent curves in the tight dress she was wearing and I felt instant jealousy for how beautiful she was. My mind then snapped back to the fact that she was calling Austin's name. My Austin.
"Grace?" He said back.
"Oh my, how long has it been? Four years?"
I looked between the two of them. His eyes were glued on her.
"What are you doing here?" He asked.
"Friend of the bride, you?"
"I'm here with-" he looked at me. "This is Anna. Anna this is Grace." I nodded at her, flashing a sarcastic smile. Why didn't he introduce me as his girlfriend? Why just Anna?
"Do you know someone here?" She asked in a snotty tone.
"Actually yes, my ex-boyfriend is the groom. Your friend is the one he cheated on me with. I'm just here for his mother." I turned back around and plopped into the seat next to Charlotte.
I tried to listen to what they were saying but as the church filled up, the chatter became louder.
"Jealousy is the green eyed monster," Charlotte whispered to me.
I laughed. "Don't quote Othello to me."
She grinned.
Austin finally found his seat next to me again.
He stayed quiet.
"Who was that dear?" Charlotte asked. I nudged her with my elbow. Her eyes were in slits, staring at Austin.
"An old friend," he replied.
He stayed quiet the rest of the ceremony.
When it ended, I kissed Charlotte on the cheek and told her I would visit her tomorrow.
As we were walking out, Grace stopped Austin. I continued walking. I knew what she was to him. He and Kane shared her. I could tell by her face. I got in my car and started the engine. Austin jumped into the passenger side.
"Get out," I snapped.
"Anna, let me explain."
"No, you didn't want her to know that we were involved so you acted like we were friends. Why? Because you have a past with her? Because you and Kane shared her?"
"Anna," he began.
"Austin, get out of my car. I will not be treated like that. You will not treat me like that. We are done. Don't think I didn't see the smiles and the touches you two shared. You disrespected me in front of everyone. It was bad enough that I had to go to my ex-boyfriends happy wedding. But to be humiliated by the guy I came with, that's where I draw the line."
"I didn't-"
"Get out Austin." I interrupted.
He nodded and got out of the car. As I pulled away I looked back in my rear view to look at him one last time. She was standing in front of him, holding his forearm. My vision blurred with tears. I was angry and hurt.
I heard the screeching tires before I felt the impact. Everything seemed to move in slow motion. My car was airborne and then everything went black.