Chapter One

TWO WEEKS UNTIL THE WEDDING

    I HATE MONDAYS. I hate them even more when I've worked for 32 hours straight, but this Monday was particularly horrid. "I HATE YOU! I NEVER WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN!" My patient shouted at me, throwing his little stuffed Pikachu at my head. This was common in the pediatric cancer ward, and I couldn't blame the kid. Every time he saw me it meant new medicine, new port checks, blood draws, and more. It meant pain and suffering in a way that he couldn't comprehend.

    "I'll come back later okay buddy?" I said softly, turning to his poor dad who was so mortified. "It's so common, and really I don't blame him. I wish he never had to see me again too." I said softly, flashing them a small smile as I ducked out of the room. My heart felt heavy as I leaned against the wall, closing my eyes in exhaustion. I needed a shower. Some food. A nap. My legs started to give out and I let them, allowing myself to slowly drop to the floor, my head resting on my knees. I was just so comfortable right here...maybe I just wouldn't get up.

     "GEMMA!" No. Oh no. Oh hell no. It was my sister's voice. Who the hell let her up her? My eyes shot up in panic, scrambling to get myself up off of the floor. I plastered the fakest smile on my face as I opened my arms to her, pretending that I wasn't completely blindsided by her visit.

       "What are you doing here Rosie?" I asked, hugging her tightly and then pulling away. She shrugged, looking around the hallway, as if she was looking for someone.

         "I'm looking for your boyfriend!" She squeezed my hand once, releasing it as she dropped her bag on the counter of the help desk. "I have heard so much about him, but he was at work or you were at work, so I just thought I'd come and meet your date to my wedding on my own." I like to think of myself as calm, cool and collected, but damn it. I was running out of options. We were caught up in a game of chicken, where my sister was waiting for me to be the first one to cave, to admit that I had lied and I was sad, lonely and single. I wouldn't. I couldn't. She would never let me live it down. No one would really.

          "Let me go get him." My teeth were gritted, my hands were shaking, but I spun on my heels and walked through the hall, my eyes eventually landing on him. Atlas McKinley. He was a doctor here, I was on his service the entire time I had worked here. He was kind, incredibly good with the kids, made every effort to help them. I hated to admit it, but I had fallen a little in love. Just a little. We talked every once in a while, but I doubted he even knew my name.

         "Dr. McKinley," I called before my logical reasoning could kick in. "I need your help." I said softly, biting the inside of my cheek. This was mortifying. Was this what rock bottom felt like? My skin was crawling under his gaze, his concern palpable.

        "What's wrong? Is it Ben? Is he vomiting blood again?" Ugh I couldn't. I could not. Oh my gosh. I couldn't ask him. She won. Rose won because there was no way in hell that I could ask this self respecting man to stoop to my level and lie.

       "Oh no, he's okay. His numbers are good. I just wanted to ask--" He nodded, leaning closer to me as I leaned over to look at the charts that he had in his arms. I had just found a random thing on one of my patients charts to ask him about, when Rose rounded the corner.

        "Is this him?" Oh shit. "Gemma he's so attractive! Tall, dark, and handsome just like you said." She came right up to us, basically pushing me aside to get to him. I was ready to heave. Was there a window I could jump out of anywhere? Anyone have a knife? Just end me right now. It wasn't too late; I could move to Mexico and start a new life. "I'm so glad to finally meet Gemma's boyfriend! What was your name again?"

       Atlas's eyes danced from me to Rose, his brows furrowed in confusion. I dropped my face in my hands, grateful that I was behind Rose and that she couldn't see me. I peaked between my fingers at him as his lips started to spread into a smile. "Atlas. And you must be," He said, pausing as he shook Rose's hand. What was he doing? What? Rose looked shocked as well, shaking his hand, glancing at me with wide eyes.

       "Oh I'm her sister, Rose." Atlas reached his hand out, beckoning for me. Oh shit. What was happening? Did he figure out I lied? I put my hands down and followed his command, trying really hard to keep the shock from my face.

        "Rose, oh yes I remember you! Gemma's said all the nicest things about you, haven't you love?" He wrapped his arm around my waist, leaning into my ear. "You're screwed." He muttered, pulling away with a mischievous grin on his face, turning to my sister.

         "You're coming to the wedding, right?" She asked, glancing at his hand, me, and then back at him, disbelief still written on all of her features.

        "Oh, you know what, actually, he's not going to make it." I said, finally finding my voice to come to his defense. There was no way I was going to keep this up for the wedding. I had been totally bluffing earlier. I had no clue what was going on. "He's on call all week unfortunately. You know, kids need help."

        "Actually, I got it off babe! I was just about to tell you." My mouth fell open in confusion. What was he doing? This was his out? Why was he agreeing? I plastered a fake smile on my face, pretending to be excited when I was really, anything but.

      "You did?!" My voice rose octaves I didn't think that it could achieve. The salad I had for lunch all of a sudden didn't sit so well.

        "I did." Rose seemed skeptical, but eventually conceded, tossing her long blonde hair off of her shoulder.

        "Good! Well I'll let you guys get back to work! We'll see you in two weeks lovebirds!" And then she left. The moment she was out of my sight, I spun on my heels, staring at Atlas in shock.

"What the hell."