Chapter. 5

It was a rainy summer's night and the night before the trip to the capital of Tashbaan where both Susan and Edmund would represent their siblings as ambassadors of their Kingdom to negotiate peace with the southern nation of Calormen.

Instead of retiring early for the night in preparation for the long journey ahead, Edmund found himself sitting in his usual couch at his favorite corner of Cair Paravel's library, listening to the peaceful raindrops outside the window and holding onto a particular book which he had read over and over again throughout the years ever since Narnia became his homeland.

"I can hear you." Edmund said with a smirk, without looking up as he flips through the book to a certain page.

"I swear you have a hearing of an owl, Edmund. I tried to be as quiet as possible." Lucy pouted as she plopped herself onto the couch opposite her brother.

"Well, it seems you aren't trying hard enough." Edmund laughed as he looked up from his book at Lucy and continued seriously, "What brings you here at this hour? Shouldn't you be asleep?"

"I should be asking you this question when you have a long journey ahead tomorrow morning. And stop throwing your big brother aura at me like Peter." Lucy groaned. "I'm a grown up."

Edmund laughed at his sister's response as he stared at the view outside which was blurred due to the pouring rain. Ever since the White Witch was vanquished, the two have grown to be the closest of all, frequently discussing their thoughts without the presence of their two older siblings. After all, it is partly because of Lucy that Edmund has changed to a better person.

"I can't sleep." He replied, honestly.

"Is it because of the trip to Calormen tomorrow?" Lucy guessed.

"No, Lu. Not that." Edmund replied.

Lucy let out a sigh when she saw the enormous book sitting on his lap and realized what was bothering him. Years have passed, and it appears that it is still having an impact on him.

"It's a prophecy Ed. Do not dwell on it too much." Lucy comforted her brother.

"We are from a prophecy too, Lu." He reminded her, "And I'm not sure if we are there to stop it if she comes back."

"Well, didn't the prophecy mention that a son of Adam and a daughter of Eve will? Although I am unsure of some of the meanings in the prophecy too." Lucy said, she too, worried the future of their Kingdom once they were gone.

"Provided that they do not fall into temptation like I did." replied Edmund, his voice filled with guilt even many years had passed and that explains why his devotion to Narnia and Aslan is stronger than anyone else.

"Edmund, you need to let go of the past." Lucy moved over to the seat beside him and tugged his arm, "You have proved yourself to everyone that you are as deserving as all of us. Narnia will not be as stable and prosperous now without you."

"I know, Lu." Edmund gave a reassuring smile to her, "I'm just being sentimental, that's all."

"That doesn't sound like the Edmund Pevensie I knew." Lucy teased, trying to liven up the mood of her brother.

"Right." Edmund flashed her a cheeky smile and continued, "Wait till Peter hears from me that you sneaked out of bed in the middle of the night venturing around the castle alone. I'm sure you'll have a lot of explanation to do."

"But I was with you!" Lucy complained.

"Well, too bad I won't be there to vouch that for you and you'll be stuck with him alone, monitoring your movements all day for as long as we're gone." Edmund laughed at his sister hysterical reaction.