THE UNEXPECTED NEWS

Start from the beginning

"I'm not done talking, children," Dad muttered, wearing an unhappy face that made her worried. 

"I was promoted and recruited." He proclaimed again.

"Recruited?" She and Dennis both exchanged glances. 

"Geez, I knew it."

"Yes, recruited to New York." He said and palmed Dennis's hands. 

"New York?!" They both exclaimed which made him flinch.

"But_" She tried to convey but couldn't utter a word. 

"Yes, that's why I came to disclose the information myself, texting or calling won't be enough."

There was a sudden silence in the entire house. Each of them has different thoughts.

"So you are taking the recruitment?" Dennis asked, breaking into their thoughts.

"Yes, and you guys are coming along with me." He said and looked at their faces to read our expressions. Of course, they were stunned. 

"Going along with you?."  Angie asked bewildered and bash her eyelids, "No! We can't go with you Dad."

"What about school? My graduation is coming up soon." Dennis complained but that doesn't bother Angie. What bothers her the most was leaving California for somewhere else.

"What should I tell my pals? Everyone around me?" She asked and heaved a heavy sigh, "Sorry to say, Dad, that won't be possible. Come to think of it, Ben is in his final year, I will be through with high school in the next few months, and Dennis's graduation is on the way, no tell me this isn't true?" She relayed, giving her Dad a hard look. 

"I'm sorry, but we have no choice." Mr. Thompson said sadly.

"Have no choice? What do you mean we have no choice? I can't leave California. Even if I have to, not at this moment, no it's impossible. We better have a choice!" She snapped and stormed out of the sitting room into her room. 

"What the hell does he mean by we do not have a choice? He can go wherever he wants to whereas it's not like he'll be needing us." She exploded her mind with these thoughts.

"Angel, are you okay? Can you please open up the door?." She heard her dad call from outside her room.  

"Go away, I'm not going with you. Go far away and never remember us again. Just do as Mom did!" She screamed in a teary voice. She knows mentioning her Mom was going to be another story but that's what she felt. Her father was taking them to another place and abandoning them to his duty. That was how her mother abandoned them. 

"I'm sorry." He said again and she heard faint footsteps. 

She began to whimper. Why would she go away from California? From home? From school? From her friends? From everything she loved. 

California was where they gave birth to them and where she has spent her entire life and she loved it. Why will she leave?

"Do they love us? Did they give birth to us? Why do I feel uneasy even when I know they are my parents?" She thought, bitterly.

She wept quietly. Thinking about the past and all that her father has come home to say. Trying to figure out how she can survive leaving California.

She loves California so much and doesn't want to leave for an unknown land. What will be her fate if she leaves California?

She believed that living her life here in California was her only way to fulfill her dreams. She doesn't want to know any more life apart from the ones she had here. 

Her phone beeps. 

She looked at her phone and saw the caller's name then she wiped off her streaming tears. 

It was her brother, Ben and she did not hesitate to receive the call. 

"Hey, baby girl." Ben greeted her from the other end. 

"Hi." She replied whimpering.

"Not again, that tone doesn't sound good." He uttered knowing fully well why she has been crying

"I'm_good." She sniffles.

"Don't tell me you are crying over your Dad's success?" 

"Success?!" She exclaimed, alarmed.

"Of course my dear."

"He told you?" She asked, trying to get her weary voice back to normal. 

"Yes, he came to visit me in school." He answered.

"Oh!" She mouthed

"There are reasons why you should go with him." He continued.

"Reasons? What reason could that be? We are leaving California. There should be no reasons." She rushed out her words. 

"Calm down Angel. I know it hurts but it's for the better. At least you've got to know somewhere else in the world." He tried explaining.

"Don't you think he'll end up like mom?" She let out

There was a pause.

"Is he? She asked again, sniffing her tears.

"I don't know." Was all he could mutter. 

"But I'm very sure he won't, that is the reason you have to leave with him."

She kept quiet for a few seconds.

"I won't be going with you guys but I'll join you guys later. As you know this is my final year in college." He said and took a deep breath, "I told him to allow Dennis and you to finish this section, then he can go on with his plans."

She was speechless. She couldn't utter a word trying to grasp what he meant by not going with them. She began to cry again. 

"Be safe and take care of Dennis. Don't miss me too much." Ben tried to console.

"Explore the world and meet new people. Be good and kind to them, okay? See you soon". 

Then he hung up almost immediately. 

She cried, she cried out her eyes throughout the entire day.

*Vote, comment your opinions and invite friends to read. Thanks for reading.*