Chapter 8: Air Breaks Hell Lose

Start from the beginning

The spit is stuck in my throat. "I was just doing my job."

He bites down on his grimace when he bends his head down, not letting me see his expression when he hums. "Of course, it was all just stupidity from my side. I mean, I was the one who decided to trust you, so how could I blame you."

I can't stand to look at him, not when he lifts his head and meets my eyes. My sight shifted on the doors, refusing anything to show when I heard him standing up. "But I can be spiteful, savage, scathing, hate-filled, disturbingly vengeful." his cold fingers are pushing my chin to meet his eyes. So much agony and resentment there. "And your family will be one of its victims."

Frustration grows in me. "Why? They have done nothing to you."

"No, but you have." he crouched down, pulling my face with him as I barely had to crane my neck to see him. My arms spread to the sides, cuffed while my sanity hangs on by a thread when he pulls out his phone typing in something before showing it to me. "Now she will be the first one to endure my revenge."

There is sweat stopping in its tracks while it drops down my face, stilling along with blood which could soon freeze down my whole body. Although the halt into my lungs seemed to be more serious than any other, as the spike penetrated my hand, clenched its fingers around my heart.

Leah is smiling in the video.

If my lack of breathing was the biggest issue here, I think I would comment on it, but now as I stare at the live video and Leah and three other girls are in the match of snowballing, my body is the least of my problems.

I know how I must look, frozen with shock and fear, but I still have hope. Hope and prays for her safety, while his mind could think of her as the rest of people do. As Caitlin's daughter and my niece, which could lower down her image in his mind and settle down on the importance of other things.

I could use things as distraction, show more concern for the rest and in that time-

"What is it like, being a father?"

I wish the words didn't have this much force, to flip the floor and ceiling and mix it all together in unholy liquid as I stare at him. My fingers are not wrapped around the metal pipel where they are cuffed, intensively looking at him while I work in silence over the conversation. "That's not-"

"Oh, spare me. I know it's not your sister's kid. She only adopted her to make it seem like it's her, but I know she is actually yours."

How?

"How?" I managed to get out, ripping my chin from his hand.

He flashes his teeth at me when he grins. "I told you once long ago. I will find out everything about anything."

I seal my lips shut when I hear scratches over the metal, right when my hand slips out of handcuffs after I bent them from below, enough for my wrist to slip down. The sound reaches Landon's ears when I grab ahold of my old knife, not allowing him to even notice it when I bring my head down, arch top of my forehead bumping right between his eyes.

Naturally his eyes close, hissing away when he tries to get away while I ignore the jabbing pain on my head, using the opportunity to slice through the air. I wasn't sure where it would land, but when he stumbled down on the floor, hand grasping another, I can only guess it was his palm.

It should keep him long enough as I turn to the left, pinching in the lock part of the handcuff with the sharpest part of the knife when he yells. "Spencer, Martin."

The blood in my body is working quickly, adrenaline blurring my mind when I hear footsteps running to here, voices calling as I focus on getting out of here. Landon is on the floor, blinking away when the doors burst open, my pair of eyes meeting two pairs who spot me after their boss. Their guns were hands as soon as my hand escaped after the click of metal, using my previously free hand to throw a knife.