She smiled weakly at him, waving a cheerful hand at the boy sitting on his lap.

"I wish it were that simple, Aegon. Only-"

Just as she spoke, the door opened again and Aemond stepped in. Rhea's head turned to him, her cheeks blushing as Aegon's gaze shifted back and forth between them.

"Ah," he said knowingly. "I see."

Rhea gave his shoulder a light shove and he smiled at her. Aemond paced anxiously around the room.

"Lady Rhea and I were just discussing her betrothal, my son," the King stated.

Aemond looked at her sadly and walked over to her.

"I'm afraid it will not be happening, father." Aemond spoke in a low, upset voice.

Rhea frowned, looking between Aegon and the King to see if there was some information she had somehow missed.

"And why would that be? I just gave the man my blessing," the King grew agitated.

Aemond swallowed hard, fixating his eye on his lady's.

"Tobias Martell is dead, my King." He announced and the whole room fell silent, apart from a loud gasp escaping from Lady Rhea's lips. She rose to her feet and began pacing the room, tears slowly filling her eyes. Was Aemond responsible for this?

"How did he die?" Aegon questioned his brother.

"Slit throat, just outside a brothel in Silk Street." Aemond stated plainly. "My apologies for the crudeness of my words, Lady Rhea, father."

Rhea gasped again, this time clutching a column to steady herself.

"Aemond-" she began.

"Who did this?" the King asked. "Who is responsible for the murder of a Dornish prince in our capital?" His voice resonated in the room.

Aemond turned his back to his father.

"He was drunk, telling every one in the brothel he would soon marry the most beautiful woman he had ever met. His words, not mine, although I do share his opinion." Aemond started, his remark unnoticed by the King. "He had been drinking all night and finally, in the wee hours of the morning, after taking advantage of every thing the brothel had to offer, he got into a fight with some other drunkard who unfortunately happened to have a knife. And as the City Watch arrived, they saw the man slit the other's throat, blood spilling everywhere. They arrested the man and he's been sentenced to die already. Word has not yet left the capital for Dorne, I was waiting for your signal, father."

They all nodded in thought, and the King sighed.

"Very well. It is such tragic news. Do send word to his father, the poor man." The King concluded. "I am sorry, my ward. It seems you were not to wed after all."

Rhea thanked the King for his words and left his chambers, soon to be followed by Aemond. She turned to face him, her red dress flowing as she did. He looked at her with sadness in his eyes.

"Before you say anything, my lady, let me say this," the prince started. "I am sorry you had to learn it this way, I did not know you would be in there. A man soon to be wed, especially to you, should never have found himself in a brothel."

Rhea swept his words with the back of her hand.

"A woman about to wed should not bed another man, either," she answered. "Aemond, do you have something to do with this? If so-"

"No, my lady. I swear it to you on everything I hold dear."

She swallowed and pinched the base of her nose, sighing.

"I was with you all night, my love. How could I have slit the man's throat while in between your legs?" the Prince questioned, looking around as he realized he had raised his voice.

Rhea's face flashed with red and she hurried the prince away, walking with him. He was right, he could not have been at both places at the same time. Still, she had to admit it somehow seemed like too big a coincidence.

"Aemond, I want to trust you but-"

The prince clasped her hands in his and lowered his lips to hers.

"I did not kill the man. But I am grateful someone did."

She looked at him, taken aback by his words.

"Please, believe me," the prince begged.

Rhea paused to think for a moment, the prince's gaze on her. She could see from the look on his face he was telling the truth, she knew it in her heart.

"Your Grace, my Lady, Princess Rhaenyra and her family have just set foot in King's Landing," a Knight of the King's Guard announced, cutting them off.