"Look Ava. You're one of the most important people in my life and you have no idea who you are or what you mean to me," I exhale slowly, dancing over my words carefully. I should continue but her reaction stops me.

My curious eyes focus on her frigid body. From her body language, she is trying to allow everything I say to sink in. But then, there is a thick silence. That alone tells me to tread carefully.

"Ava?" Once again my calm voice echoes over the still room, willing her to hear me out. And even willing myself to stay composed. I need to say and do any and everything to make it up to her.

She peers at me for a moment before swallowing heavily. From there she stands up.

"Listen to me," I demand sternly. The rise of my voice startles her but she never turns to me.

An unearthly beauty, drenched in an over-saturated poison I've created. She hiccups again before covering her mouth. The next few things happen in such quickness that by the time I realize what she is doing it's already too late.

The bathroom door slams as soon as I get to it.

"Ava! Open up!" I jiggle the knob, trying my damndest from kicking the door down. If I do then I'd risk waking Danny up. His room is across from ours so he'd be able to hear us.

I hear loud coughing before a series of intense vomiting seizes my ears.

Oh shit. This is just like the many times my mom would lock herself in the bathroom. It would always happen right after she and Martin had a fight. My prick of a father would leave me to clean up his mess. He'd leave me alone to talk my mom out of blaming or harming herself. Every single fucking time he'd beat her close to unconsciousness I would bang on the door until she woke up. Some nights were spent with me and my mom hiding in the bathroom until morning. Until we knew Martin was gone.

"Ava?" With my palm against the door and my ear pressed to it, I listen for any noises. Because silence is dangerous, I listen for the opposite. Any noise is a sign of good news.

Loud crashes and shouts of rage shake the room as well as the door. I remain stoic, remembering that I am the cause of this. If not for my persistent need for control, this wouldn't have happened. Ava wouldn't be upset and neither would I.

She continues screaming and throwing things until the bright rays of sunlight shine on the bed. The rest of the room remains hidden in the shadows of early morning. Early morning. That has always been my favorite time of day. Early morning means another day; another chance to start over.

For the next half hour, I'm left with silence. Left with an echoing reminder of how shitty of a person I truly am. And despite how awful I feel about myself, I still can't help feeling worse for my Ava. I'm worried about her but there is nothing I can do to help her right now. If I yell or break the door down then I risk waking our son. If I wait patiently then— who the hell am I kidding? Patience was never my thing.

"Open this fucking door now!"

My entire body leans forward as the door swings open. I nearly fall on her but she steadies me.