Chapter 21 - Mujaheed!!

Start from the beginning

'Okay, let's go. We will be right back Amir'. Shazia informed him and he nodded.

Laura was taking her time and Shazia kept complaining that they left Amir alone. 'Laura, please hurry up. It's not nice for us to keep Amir waiting this long. And besides, we haven't ordered anything yet, I am already starving'.

'Sorry Shazee, just 3 more minutes please and I'll be done'. And as promised, Laura came out of the powder room after 3 minutes, that was immediately she received a text message from Amir that they could return to the hall. The message was what delayed her.

Just as they were about to enter the hall, the lights in the whole building went off.

'That's strange, what happened to the standby generator?' Shazia wondered.

Immediately they stepped into the restaurant, the lights came on and she could hear people screaming 'Surprise!'. The restaurant she left less than 30 minutes ago was beautifully decorated with colourful balloons, party garlands and banners with a message 'Thank you for accepting to be mine forever, Noorie!!'. All her friends were there, and even her elder brother, Fahad. Shazia covered her face shyly as she stood rooted to her spot.

'Bae, I can't go in. There are so many people here. What if I fall or worse still, faint? '. She said to Amir, trying to turn back.

'Oh c'mon baby, you'll be fine!'. He smiled. Laura dragged Shazia into the hall where they exchanged pleasantries with friends and well wishers, dined, had halal games and took photographs. It was a night to remember!

Fahad, Shazia and Laura got home some minutes after 10.

*****

3 days after Amir and Shazia's engagement, Faruk (one of the escorts) and two of his uncles approached Alhaji El-Muneer. Pleasantries were exchanged and the Uncles informed him that they came to ask for Laura's hand in marriage to their son, Faruk.

'This is good news, Ma Shaa Allah. But I can not make that decision for Laura. I'll have to ask for her opinion first'. Alhaji El-Muneer told them. Hajiya Naima who was also in the living room had mixed feelings about that. 'Hajiya, can you please call Laura?' He asked politely, to which she nodded.

Some 10 minutes later, Laura came to the living room looking confused. She had no idea why she was being summoned. She greeted everyone and sat on the rug, close to Hajiya Naima, her head bowed.

'Laura, these elderly men are Faruk's uncles'. Alhaji El-Muneer began, as he pointed at them. 'I don't know if there's anything between you and Faruk, but they came to seek your hand in marriage to him'. He paused. 'You know we can not get you married to him without hearing from you first. So, do you agree to marry him?'. Laura's head was still bowed.

'Answer him please'. Hajiya Naima instructed Laura, her voice full of emotions. 'Do you want to marry him?' Laura nodded shyly and immediately left the living room.

Alhaji El-Muneer smiled. 'Alhamdu lilLah (All praise be to Allah. I'll discuss the wedding plans with her brothers and other relatives and get back to you'. He informed them. The uncles thanked him profusely and left the room.

Just outside, Fahad after his signature honk parked and stepped out of his blue 2018 Lamborghini Aventador. He exchanged pleasantries with the guests and went into the mansion wondering what brought them.

'Ummy, I saw some guests with Faruk. Hope everything is well!'. He inquired after exchanging pleasantries with his parents, as he sat to have coffee. 'Ummy!' He called his mother, who was lost in thoughts.