Chapter 25 - Inspector Campbell

The next morning, everyone sat around the table. It felt more like a meeting than breakfast, but Marguerite would have to get used to that. 

"So, your Father knows you're here, but what he doesn't know is that you're on our side, not his." Polly wanted to clear up the situation for the young woman and for the family themselves. 

"Correct," mumbled Marguerite, who'd had a rough night, what with an upset stomach and a discomforting stress over her strange interaction with Thomas Shelby. They'd hardly interacted, more like stared at each other curiously, trying to figure each other out. It wasn't that he made her uncomfortable, but it was the fact that he was to be a constant presence in her life for the unforeseeable future. It made her excited but also extremely nervous, anxious. People never understood it, but what made her excited always ended up turning into anxiety and making her feel sick. It was a frustrating emotional response that she had. It had never been as bad as it had been recently, and she did not know why being happy made her feel ill. 

"Maggie?" Olivia was glancing at her sister worriedly, her coffee cup in her hand, soft eyes showing behind her messy hair. Everyone had gotten up early, overwhelmed, in a bad mood. There was no telling why. 

"I'm fine, just... I get anxious for no reason and it makes me feel unwell is all." 

She sighed and got up to fetch her fifth tall glass of water, but Arthur grabbed it before she could, smiling sympathetically, his stringy hair falling over his sharp brow.

"You're alright, love, I'll get it for ya." 

"Arthur Shelby, ever the gentleman," hummed Olivia jokingly. John snickered. Tommy grinned ever so slightly. Polly raised her brows. 

Light steps could be heard coming down the stairs. Ada appeared with a youthful Finn Shelby, the youngest brother, merely a child. He carried a tired expression, had a thin frame and thin lips that curved into a cheeky smile. He would later grow to become a bit of a menace but loveable, just like his brothers. 

"Ada, good morning," said Marguerite, then turning to the youngster with a warm smile, disguising her own tiredness. 

"You stayin' with us, Miss Collins?" inquired the boy. 

"Yes, she is, and be polite," said Ada, poking at his cheek, prompting him to push her away childishly. "I was thinking Marguerite and I could go into town with Finn to do some shopping for the marriage celebration."

"Marriage celebration?" Marguerite furrowed her brow in confusion.

"Well, you see, Tommy formed an alliance with a gang called the Lees against Kimber. In return, John here -" she winked at her brother, " had to marry one of their girls. Her name is Esme, she'll be moving in soon." 

Marguerite turned to John, who was smiling like an idiot. Clearly he must like that girl. 

"Alright, I'm up for a bit of shopping," chuckled the young woman. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marguerite had just finished getting dressed in her room. She sat before her mirror now, and brushed her cascading hair, then putting on a feathery hat. Someone knocked on her door. 

"Come in." 

Thomas Shelby smiled politely, as he closed the door behind him. First walking around her room, curiously noting her belonging, then walking towards her. He crouched down beside her, where she sat. 

"I want you to have this," he whispered to her. He pulled out a pistol with a Rose carving on the handle and set it carefully on her vanity table. She looked at him, a little shocked. She'd never held a firearm before, and was afraid to do so.