Chapter 11

Marguerite awoke to the sound of light drizzling rain. She was at her Aunt Emmeline's house after coming home two days earlier from her history teacher Frank Parson's office. Of course, Mr Parsons was no longer just her teacher, for they had shared a somewhat intimate moment together. Marguerite had felt uneasy about that moment they had shared for a few hours until she remembered that he himself was quite young. Today Frank Parsons was going to accompany her to Birmingham as she had suggested he could do. The idea was for him to assure her safety, but in reality she knew that she'd have to be discreet if she planned on meeting Polly Gray and Olivia again. She'd only met them for a day, but she felt that strong link with her sister and Polly, they felt more like family than anyone. She was still wary of them, seeing as their environment was a dangerous one, and the life they lived was completely out of Marguerite's comfort zone, but she was determined to go ahead with her plan. 

The young woman swiftly got dressed and grabbed the bag that she had packed. Before leaving her room, she noticed the book The Tale Of Roses on her bedside table. She grabbed it and placed in under arm, and then checked herself in the mirror, arranging her hair. There was a sort of buzzing in her stomach, an anticipation. She was frightened but also excited to go to Birmingham, unsure of what awaited her there. The curiosity was killing her. She had to calm herself, for she might overthink her decision and start to feel unwell. 

Time to go. 

She left her room and headed downstairs, now walking past the statues, paintings and vases without a thought. She payed no attention to the folds in the curtains, or the fade of the tapestry. Ahead of her lay answers, real ones, not just hypothetical suggestions. Taking a deep breath, she went over to her Aunt, who gave her a solemn, sad side-eye. 

"Are you sure you want to go, Marguerite, my dear?" said Aunt Emmeline, as softly as she could, but Marguerite could tell she was more disappointed than anything.

"Yes, Aunt Emmeline, I'm leaving for Birmingham. It's only for my studies, I promise."

"..."

"Mr Parsons will be picking me up shortly, I should go outside and wait for him." She began walking away, but turned back. "Please take care of yourself in my absence, Aunt Emmeline. I'll be home soon." 

Emmeline sighed. 

"Of course, dear. Have a good time, and for the love of God, stay safe. Birmingham is a dangerous city these days. Especially with those ruddy Peaky-"

A car horn went off outside.

"That's my cue to leave," exclaimed Marguerite, trying her best to hide her excitement, rushing to the heavy front door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The young woman and her teacher sat comfortably at the back of the cab, as the driver turned the radio on.

"Do you think there are many cars in Birmingham?" asked Marguerite. Frank chuckled.

"I'm sure there are, but a large percentage of the low class can't afford such vehicles. They all still use horses.

"So do we."

"Yes, but their horses are work horses." 

Marguerite smiled. It would be an interesting trip. 

A dangerous trip too. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The cab stopped at the station, and Marguerite and Frank Parsons left the cab to board the train. They pulled out their tickets. 

Ticket to Birmingham, First Class, Frank Parsons and Marguerite Collins, 13:00 PM, Monday 15th, etc. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~