Nightgowns and Chandeliers

Start from the beginning

"Indeed," he muttered. "I tossed and turned for hours, but I couldn't stop this image of you alone, scared in here. I kept picturing someone breaking into your chambers and-"

The girl rose to her feet and walked over to the prince.

"Well, someone did break in," she started. "You," she added as she saw his brow furrowed.

He turned to face her fully and laughed.

"It's different when I do it, I only intended to watch over you. I did not expect to be hit in the face with a chandelier." He laughed wholeheartedly and his friend looked away, slightly ashamed, yet looking even more amused.

"Yes, sorry about that," she chortled. "You took it like a true champion, though."

The prince gave her a slight shove and laughed. He was not wearing his usual black clothes pants and black leather shirt, instead he sported brown linen pants and a large, loose white shirt. The girl looked down at his chest, a light blush on her cheeks. The prince smiled through thin lips and brushed the girl's hair away from her face. She looked at him through her eyelashes and smiled softly.

"I remember the day you almost cut your shoulder off," he said, tucking at the chain-mail she was wearing.

"Huh, I think you ought to say the day you and Daeron almost cut my shoulder off," the girl corrected, a smile on her lips still. "I'm surprised Aegon wasn't around somewhere. Whose sword was I using? Ser Criston's?"

"Oh Aegon was here, but he fainted when he saw how much blood you were losing. I believe you had "borrowed" Aegon's sword, you refused to play with a wooden one that day."

She chuckled.

"Right, I remember. He was angry at me for it for weeks after that. He hated that I had caused him to faint in front of people while I-"

"While you were busy tearing the hems of your skirts to tie them around your arm to stop the bleeding. I remember. I ran to fetch my father while Daeron stayed by your side, crying because he thought you were dying."

"Poor boy was only five, he'd never seen this much blood pouring out of a person before. That is until he discovered tourneys."

Both of them stood in a comfortable silence. The lady smiled.

"Well, I've this lovely scar to remember the day," she concluded, tracing her finger along her scar again.

The prince glanced at it, a slight blush rushing to his cheekbones, and quickly looked away.

"What is in there?" Rhea asked, pointing to the bag the prince had brought.

He walked over to it and sat it on the bed, opening it to reveal a light blanket. Rhea's eyebrow was raised in question.

"I was thinking I might sleep in here tonight, to make sure you were fine," he asked shyly.

Rhea turned to face him, a look of pure astonishment on her face. She looked outraged.

"Aemond," she exclaimed, her brows furrowed in an offended knot.

The prince seemed to realize what the girl in front of him had interpreted and spurted out an apology.

"Rhea," he feigned to me as offended as she had been. "I only meant that I would sleep on the chair there," he pointed at a comfortable looking chair.

Rhea looked at her feet.

"Oh, sorry." She scratched her scalp.

"So, may I?" the prince asked again, nodding towards the chair.

"I don't think it would be appropriate, Aemond."

"Would you think it more appropriate if I slept in your bed?" The prince snickered, grinning widely at her flustered face.

She shoved him and he laughed.

"Are you afraid you might snore, my lady?"

She shoved him again.

"I would actually like it, if you slept here, my prince." She had a devilish smile on as he shoved her, this time.

He raised a hand to lay it gently on her cheek, inching closer to her as he pecked her other cheek, smiling as his lips brushed her face. Then, he realized he didn't mind her calling him that when the two of them were alone, he actually quite liked how it made him feel. He knew he was not acting properly around her, around a Lady. He knew they should be discreet in their displays of affection, but he could not help himself around her, she made him more in touch with his gentler side. His brothers often teased him about her, and he never let them. They cared for her as they always did, like a sister, like a true friend. He, on the other end, had soon realized he cared for her in a deeper manner, a more meaningful one.

Lady Rhea took off the chain-mail from her nightgown and settled under her covers as the prince blew the candles around the room, rendering it dark. She tucked the dagger back under her pillow and watched her prince try to find a comfortable position in the chair opposite her.

As she tried falling asleep, she could hear his uncomfortable sighs as he shuffled yet again on the seat. She rose to her feet and walked to him, holding out her hand in front of his face.

"Come, Aemond," she said sleepily, grabbing his hand and guiding him to her bed.

"What are you doing?" he asked drowsily, slightly pulling away from her.

"Aemond, don't be stubborn. I can hear you over there. It's late, you might as well try and sleep a little," she pulled him towards her and sat back in her bed, feeling the mattress move as he hesitantly lay next to her.

She handed him a pillow and he turned her back to her.

"Do you know how this looks like, my lady?" The prince urged.

She grunted as she settled further under her covers. Aemond shuffled yet again.

"If you want to sleep on the chair, I won't keep you."

"I'm fine where I am," the prince said, stretching out his arm so it could rest on her head, stroking her hair gently.

She reached for his hair and frowned as she realized he had kept his eye-patch on. She sat up and so did he. Reaching up to take it off, she planted soft kisses along the prince's sharp jawline. His hands were running along her arms and he kissed her forehead, resting his head against the pillow, a comfortable sigh leaving his lips at last.

Lady Rhea placed the prince's eye patch on her night stand and closed her eyes, dozing off to a peaceful sleep, at last.

"Thank you, Aemond, for watching over me tonight," the girl said before finally falling asleep.