Lidia Vargas

Lidia Vargas 
September 6th 
9:48 am

Death-cast did not call Lidia Vargas,because she isn't dying today.But she felt like she was.She woke up to damp cheeks after about an hours worth of sleep.The entire night spent tossing and turning,pictures of Mateos death being carved into her mind.She hadn't heard a word from since Clint's Graveyard.The lack of closure made her mind run wild with scenarios.Had he been run over? shot? stabbed? burnt? anything was possible.Although,it didn't really matter anymore.He was dead.

Was.

Mateo is a was now.He's gone.

Lidia sat up,pressing her back up against the cool walls of her bedroom.In the shaded corner of the room sat the little Ikea box.The bookshelf,a gift for Penny from Mateo,he said he would help her put it together.Suddenly she hears a knock on her bedroom door,it appears her Abuelita is awake.She enters with Penny in her arms.Lidia wipes her eyes,trying to get herself together,not only for Penny but for herself.

"Somebody's awake" she says to Lidia in a cheerful manner.But you can see the worry hiding behind her eyes.Lidia smiles enthusiastically,taking Penny in her arms.Her grandmother sits at the edge of the bed before quietly asking "You doing alright darling?".Lidia plasters on a faux smile,nodding with vigor. Her grandmother cocks her head to the side slightly,clearly not believing her.

"I've been better but I'll be fine" she takes a deep breath in,looking down at the tired face of her daughter, then the box in the corner of the room.Today she'll build the bookcase Mateo bought for Penny and put his pictures all around her room
Lidia will keep Mateo alive the only way she can.